Duck attacked

Pics

JewelBirds

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
One of my muscovy ducks is severely injured. Another is dead. I don't know how she's still alive, honestly. I don't know if she even can survive. The skin on her head is basically gone. I don't know where to start. Or if I should even try given how bad it is. Please give any and all advice
20220624_075322.jpg

Start with either Betadine, or Saline solution to rinse it out good. Then cover with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin). Put a fairly thick layer of the ointment, to keep the skin moist. Bring her inside, and put her in a dog crate, or makeshift cage with food, and water. Don't expect her to eat, and drink right away, but have it in there for her. Dim the lights, or keep it darkened where you keep her. In about 4 hours, rinse with the betadyne, or saline then re-apply more antibiotic ointment. Do this 3 - 4 times a day.

Thank you. Yes I will try that. I have her in a cage now after washing it and then applying neosporin. She's actually drinking a little bit right now
20220624_084529.jpg

Good that she drank water. Be sure her bowl is deep enough she can submerge her nostrils to clean them. She should be in a bit of shock, so just keep her calm, and don't expect much from her. Not sure of the temps there, but be sure she doesn't overheat, while at the same time, she should not get too cold. Pay attention, so the wounds don't get infected. That's the important part.

One of my muscovy ducks is severely injured. Another is dead. I don't know how she's still alive, honestly. I don't know if she even can survive. The skin on her head is basically gone. I don't know where to start. Or if I should even try given how bad it is. Please give any and all
One of my muscovy ducks is severely injured. Another is dead. I don't know how she's still alive, honestly. I don't know if she even can survive. The skin on her head is basically gone. I don't know where to start. Or if I should even try given how bad it is. Please give any and all advice
View attachment 3161361
Omg, I am so sorry!!! I had a snapping turtle attack my female runner. I was so devastated. I nursed her back to health. There is hope. 🙏🙏🙏 poor baby!!! 😭😭😭

Start with either Betadine, or Saline solution to rinse it out good. Then cover with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin). Put a fairly thick layer of the ointment, to keep the skin moist. Bring her inside, and put her in a dog crate, or makeshift cage with food, and water. Don't expect her to eat, and drink right away, but have it in there for her. Dim the lights, or keep it darkened where you keep her. In about 4 hours, rinse with the betadyne, or saline then re-apply more antibiotic ointment. Do this 3 - 4 times a day.
Yes, yes, yes 🙏🙏🙏😭😭😭

I nursed mine back to health in the bathroom. I think the brooder light helped her heal quicker. The heat. I used a dressing and antibiotic spray from Tractor Supply. Tended her frequently. Kept her away from siblings because they nipped at her. It was heartbreaking for a week but she survived. Ducks can be very resilient creatures. Best wishes, truly.

Good that she drank water. Be sure her bowl is deep enough she can submerge her nostrils to clean them. She should be in a bit of shock, so just keep her calm, and don't expect much from her. Not sure of the temps there, but be sure she doesn't overheat, while at the same time, she should not get too cold. Pay attention, so the wounds don't get infected. That's the important part.
Alright, yes it is pretty hot outside but she is inside where it is cooler.

I nursed mine back to health in the bathroom. I think the brooder light helped her heal quicker. The heat. I used a dressing and antibiotic spray from Tractor Supply. Tended her frequently. Kept her away from siblings because they nipped at her. It was heartbreaking for a week but she survived. Ducks can be very resilient creatures. Best wishes, truly.
Thank you, yes I guess we'll see how she does over the next few days

I think she may be over shock because when I go to apply the saline and Neosporin (went through 1.5 tubes already) she has begun trying to nibble my arms, more so in an aggressive way than affectionate. Not sure if this is "normal" or not for the wound to look
20220626_170545.jpg

It's very hard to tell from the picture, but I don't see yellow pus areas, so I think it looks fine. Just keep doing what you're doing. It takes awhile, but the skin regranulates, and wounds usually heal up good. Just watch, and smell for infection.

Back
Top Bottom