Duck attacked

Pics

JewelBirds

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
One of my muscovy ducks is severely injured. Another is dead. I don't know how she's still alive, honestly. I don't know if she even can survive. The skin on her head is basically gone. I don't know where to start. Or if I should even try given how bad it is. Please give any and all advice
20220624_075322.jpg

Start with either Betadine, or Saline solution to rinse it out good. Then cover with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin). Put a fairly thick layer of the ointment, to keep the skin moist. Bring her inside, and put her in a dog crate, or makeshift cage with food, and water. Don't expect her to eat, and drink right away, but have it in there for her. Dim the lights, or keep it darkened where you keep her. In about 4 hours, rinse with the betadyne, or saline then re-apply more antibiotic ointment. Do this 3 - 4 times a day.

So today is 4 weeks. To celebrate how great Daisy Duck has come along, I made this collage on her progress over time. And she will probably get a special treat as well lol. Just in the first week, there was quite a big difference!
20220721_192439.jpg

Yesterday this piece fell off her head. I noticed before that there was a loose piece that wasn't quite attached to skin, but didn't realize it was this big. Luckily, skin was pink underneath, so it was ready to come off.
20220721_185256.jpg

This was her yesterday. She's so close! That scab is getting smaller by the day.
20220721_185545.jpg

She's ready to go back outside, but it'll be hard for me when she does (after she's all healed up). I have grown quite protective of her lol. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to integrate her with her duck friend in the chicken coop

So today is 4 weeks. To celebrate how great Daisy Duck has come along, I made this collage on her progress over time. And she will probably get a special treat as well lol. Just in the first week, there was quite a big difference!
View attachment 3195131

Yesterday this piece fell off her head. I noticed before that there was a loose piece that wasn't quite attached to skin, but didn't realize it was this big. Luckily, skin was pink underneath, so it was ready to come off.
View attachment 3195143

This was her yesterday. She's so close! That scab is getting smaller by the day.
View attachment 3195161
She's ready to go back outside, but it'll be hard for me when she does (after she's all healed up). I have grown quite protective of her lol. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to integrate her with her duck friend in the chicken coop
That. Is. Amazing. Just wow.

You and Daisy are both remarkable!!!!
:wee

Good news - integration has gone smoothly. Bad news - she won't stop scratching the last bit of her wound! I have been applying neosporin and betadine, but she keeps washing it off and scratching, which won't let it heal. Now the wound is bigger than it was. Is there a cone for ducks that I can use to stop her from scratching it? Maybe I will have to wrap it with vet wrap? She is now separated again, but she hasn't stopped scratching

Daisy Duck is doing much better wound wise.
20220914_192021.jpg

She went broody so I took advantage of that. She had something else to focus on besides scratching her head. She started laying eggs again for about a month (not the past couple of weeks though), but the eggs aren't fertilized so I will be breaking her broodiness. If she goes broody again in spring, I might let her incubate some eggs, but I don't want fall babies.
20220914_192010.jpg

I gave her a bath tonight, and I had to clean her nostrils out as well because they got a little clogged.

Last edited:
Daisy Duck is doing much better wound wise.
View attachment 3260396
She went broody so I took advantage of that. She had something else to focus on besides scratching her head. She started laying eggs again for about a month (not the past couple of weeks though), but the eggs aren't fertilized so I will be breaking her broodiness. If she goes broody again in spring, I might let her incubate some eggs, but I don't want fall babies.
View attachment 3260400
I gave her a bath tonight, and I had to clean her nostrils out as well because they got a little clogged.
So happy to see that Daisy is doing so well. She's a real fighter. God bless her & you for taking such great care of her 💖

I'd put 1//2 a capsule in a gallon of water, or 1/4 capsule in a 2 qt. waterer. It doesn't like to mix too well, but stir it in good. Make fresh daily. Do this for up to 10 days. After that, if antibiotics appear to be needed, cut the dose back in half, then continue with it until all appearances of infection are cleared up. STOP with the oral antibiotics as soon as there are no more signs of visible infection. That way it doesn't develop resistance as easily, and will work better if you need to use it again.

If you call your doctor's office, see if they'll prescribe Silvadene (and a refill). It's not overly expensive, and it's like a miracle in a tube for burns, and large wound situations like this. It seriously prevents infection way better than triple antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom