Duck attacked

It's very hard to tell from the picture, but I don't see yellow pus areas, so I think it looks fine. Just keep doing what you're doing. It takes awhile, but the skin regranulates, and wounds usually heal up good. Just watch, and smell for infection.
Okay. Just noticed this tonight when I was washing the wound again. What about greenish color?
20220626_212443.jpg

Would fish antibiotics (amoxicillin 500 mg capsules) work? I'll have to look up where they have betadyne in store. I gave her a bath in the utility sink last night, she seemed to enjoy it. Should I be giving her supervised outdoor time at all, or should she remain inside for the time being?

I'd put 1//2 a capsule in a gallon of water, or 1/4 capsule in a 2 qt. waterer. It doesn't like to mix too well, but stir it in good. Make fresh daily. Do this for up to 10 days. After that, if antibiotics appear to be needed, cut the dose back in half, then continue with it until all appearances of infection are cleared up. STOP with the oral antibiotics as soon as there are no more signs of visible infection. That way it doesn't develop resistance as easily, and will work better if you need to use it again.

If you call your doctor's office, see if they'll prescribe Silvadene (and a refill). It's not overly expensive, and it's like a miracle in a tube for burns, and large wound situations like this. It seriously prevents infection way better than triple antibiotic.

Yes, amoxicillin will work. They have Betadyne at WalMart, or any drugstore.
Okay thank you
I'd put 1//2 a capsule in a gallon of water, or 1/4 capsule in a 2 qt. waterer. It doesn't like to mix too well, but stir it in good. Make fresh daily. Do this for up to 10 days. After that, if antibiotics appear to be needed, cut the dose back in half, then continue with it until all appearances of infection are cleared up. STOP with the oral antibiotics as soon as there are no more signs of visible infection. That way it doesn't develop resistance as easily, and will work better if you need to use it again.

If you call your doctor's office, see if they'll prescribe Silvadene (and a refill). It's not overly expensive, and it's like a miracle in a tube for burns, and large wound situations like this. It seriously prevents infection way better than triple antibiotic.
Okay sounds good. I'll have to see if I can get silvadene, but not sure they'll be willing to prescribe it without an appointment

Depends on the doctor. Some will, some won't. It's just a creme, not like some medication that can be abused.
Yes, our specific doctors office won't prescribe it without being seen. But I called my vets office and they'd be willing to give me SSD cream, silver sulfadiazine cream. Would this work?
wow it looks pretty bad. It is great she is drinking! I pray she gets better
Yes, it definitely looks less bloody and skin is starting to form back now but just have to worry about infection. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom