Hen injured in a hawk Attack 9 days ago won't eat

:hitI wish I knew what to do to help, but I really don't what to do that your not already doing. My Fancy (white crested black polish) was killed by a hawk a few weeks ago. I hope your hen recovers.
:hugs: I am so sorry you lost your fancy it never gets easier makes you want to hurt that hawk with your bare hands.

Also, is she eating anything yet? How do her poops look? It's okay to post pics of her poop, they can help our Educators to diagnose and advise. Is she on paper towels or puppy pee pads so you can get a good pic of her droppings?

** UPDATE**
She is drinking water on her own she did eat a little bit of fermented feed and I gave her some plain Greek yogurt on a lid and she ate the entire lid! She has had about 4 baby jar lids full of Greek yogurt. I took her off the aspirin a few days ago she doesn't seem like she's uncomfortable.

I am no chicken psychologist but I think she is depressed. She's also gets very agitated and pecks the crap out of my hand and she got my cheek today. I have been spending literally almost the whole day with her I took her outside to get fresh air yesterday and today ( I was with her the entire time holding her) it seems to perk her up and she starts to act like her sassy self. She doesn't act like that for very long then she's back to being like "down in the dumps" and agitated. But who wouldn't be after what she has experienced

She can see out of both eyes thank goodness! The first scab on the right eye fell off cleaning her eye the other day. I checked it with a flashlight no damage no cloudiness and her pupil did dilate.But now a new scab is on her eye so she keeps scratching at it. I'm probably going to have to put a gauze pad over it so she doesn't damage it or get anything into it. The left eye is puffy around it. I turned the lights out and took a small flashlight , and slowly moved it away from her face and then close up. But to move slowly so she couldn't feel the air coming from me moving the flashlight back and forth. Her pupil did dilate no cloudiness either. And she does use it to see. I clean her eye with sterile saline mist spray twice daily. And put Neosporin around the affected area.

Her neck the puncture wound is filled in completely. It's starting to look like she never had a puncture would on her neck but I still clean it twice daily with povidone -iodine solution I put a couple drops into a cup with a little bit of warm water and use a syringe to gentle squrt it on to her neck then I pat it dry and put Neosporin with a clean popsicle Stick. The iodine stains her neck up she's white so I was thinking maybe switching to dial and warm water instead. Anyone think that would be ok? I don't put anything on her neck.

She however does have very watery lime green with white poops sometimes it's like a dark green color and not to sound graphic it looks like snot in her poop sometimes or like a string. I will post a picture of her injuries currently as well as her poops tomorrow with make 14 days since the attack.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS GIVE ME EXCELLENT ADVICE THIS COMMUNITY SAVED MY GIRLS LIFE! I WILL FOREVER BE GREATFUL FOR THAT. AND A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO LEFT SUCH SWEET WORDS AND COMMENTS AND ALSO SHARED THIER STORIES. It's amazing that complete strangers can be kind and wonderful to one another these days. Hawk and I thank you from the bottoms of our hearts ❤️

Glad to hear she's improving! You can clean the wound with sterile saline solution in a spray bottle (Google how to make, it's easy). That's what we used on a hen injured by a dog and she healed up just fine. Then we patted her dry with paper towel or a clean towel and put Neosporin on. She was completely healed in about 3 weeks and it was a large, deep wound. You're doing great!

I completely forgot to post pictures of her face
This is her bad side I took this 5 mins before posting she's sleepy so she's wasn't to happy lol

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_183959251_HDR_AE.jpg
    IMG_20240212_183959251_HDR_AE.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom