Duckling seem frightened

Sanaif

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2024
Ok so guys I think there is a huge problem with my duckling... The one I love the most
Actually from past few days she started flipping over so I had to keep a watch on him everytime
He started eating drinking less and pooped watery and sometimes just a drop sizes poop
Hes weight has gone down. And he kept scratching his vent..
I took him to vet and he gave me a suspension and a syrup for niacin and clotrimazole for applying on his vent. He said it's allergy
But the main problem came when he wasn't drinking the suspension and as soon I applied ointment he started rubbing more and would fall against his legs more often
And then I noticed sometimes he would just become still and his body became streamlined and he couldn't walk or do anything
I would do some petting and after that he would come to normal
But today as I opened the brooder one of the duckling moved to the water dispenser
And as they all huddled together
When one moved he became like that
So I took him out gently petted him
But then he went crazy and seemed as he was frightened he started running and falling and looking here and there
I don't know what's happening to him
Today the episode was much longer but after sometime I was able to calm him down and now he is cuddled in elbow
Also he is 13 days old but looks even smaller than 3 days
I have kept him with 2 other ducklings
They are maybe 2 or 3 days bigger than him
And I am using straw bedding
And I have kept them indoors

I'm so sorry your little duckling is acting off, did you get proper feed for them? I know you got a different feed that was smaller in size but are they eating it and is it for ducklings? Proper nutrition is important for good growth and health all around.
Is your duckling crested? which means is their a poof of feathers on the top of his head? A picture of your duckling would be nice.

I'm so sorry your little duckling is acting off, did you get proper feed for them? I know you got a different feed that was smaller in size but are they eating it and is it for ducklings? Proper nutrition is important for good growth and health all around.
Is your duckling crested? which means is their a poof of feathers on the top of his head? A picture of your duckling would be nice.
I'm really sorry to inform it died last night. It isn't easy for me I've been crying all night . I don't know what to do my mind is just stuck on it... I'm thinking to return the rest of my ducklings cuz I can't take in the grief of dying... It died in my hands . It was so painful

It wasn't eating anything last night so I gave him.grinded peas he ate a bit and then I also gave him a little bit of hard boiled egg. He was drinking very little. In the evening 1 2 hours before he died. He seemed so fresh and played with me a lot . He was even jumping too and would come to cuddle on my neck
.. but then after sometime he just started acting too lethargic
And there is one thing that I felt although he pooped norma and a lot of poop he was also kinda farting or what
. Like I could here some puffffffff sound out his vent or mouth I'm not sure
And then he started giving out his last breaths . I knew he was gonna die so I kept him close to my chest and comforted him
It was painful for him cuz the soul was stuck and he kept breathing and curling up... And then he let go
The first picture is just before he started labor breathing
And the second picture is after he died

Attachments

• Snapchat-611855941.jpg
    Snapchat-611855941.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Snapchat-65670798.jpg
    Snapchat-65670798.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 1
I am so sorry you lost him. :hugs Many of us have lost ducklings for one reason or another but we don't give up when we still have others to care for. It is so heartbreaking but you gave him comfort in his last minutes and that means a lot.
One thing you need to do now is focus on the ones you have left get them the best feed you can and make sure before feeding them anything other than their starter that they have grit and when small it it should be chick grit.
I do hope you'll reconsider giving your other ducklings up.

Back
Top Bottom