Red Broiler?

miken56

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Hoover Hatchery has what they call a "Red Broiler" that looks very close to their "Cornish Cross Broiler" Question is does anybody have experience with these (other hatcheries may have something similar). I like the overall physique (according to the picture) and the idea of a little better forager for maybe a week and a half extra maturity time seems appealing. Just wondering if this seems too good to be true things? I have used Hoovers for years and would stick with them to the end with the Cornish Cross broilers.

We also are interested in Hoovers new "Red Broiler" for the same reasons. going to try a dozen on our first batch of birds this year and evaluate them for ourselves side by side with the White broilers and see how they do and if the extra money per chick is worth it.

They won't stack up against the jumbo cornish cross. The point of them is for a bird that is slower growing and not have any leg issues do to exponential growth. They will still be a nice carcass with target age of 12 weeks. The "white broilers" aka CornishX are meant to harvest at 8 weeks of age. For pure feed to meat conversion you'll never beat the CX.

They won't stack up against the jumbo cornish cross. The point of them is for a bird that is slower growing and not have any leg issues do to exponential growth. They will still be a nice carcass with target age of 12 weeks. The "white broilers" aka CornishX are meant to harvest at 8 weeks of age. For pure feed to meat conversion you'll never beat the CX.

I agree with you, we've raised White Broilers for many years. the Red broilers was more out of curiosity than anything else, we raise for feed to meat ratio. that said we raise on pasture and are always trying to improve the model.

We also are interested in Hoovers new "Red Broiler" for the same reasons. going to try a dozen on our first batch of birds this year and evaluate them for ourselves side by side with the White broilers and see how they do and if the extra money per chick is worth it.
The color white predominates in broiler fryer chickens because the end user does not need to senge the pin feathers as much to get a clean looking carcass.

I don't know the red broilers, but I assume they are much like the sagitta.
Sunnyside hatchery of wisconsin had them, but they are not selling any this year.
IDK why..
the sagitta is a cross of a red chicken, and a white meaty.

if you are raising just a few, like 25 to 100, it is not worth the trouble to worry about feed to meat conversion.
If your budget is that tight, then you are far better off to buy butchered chickens, or buy mature chickens and butcher them yourself..
Actually, I am just looking for a place that sells Sagitta.

.......jiminwisc........

I don't know the red broilers, but I assume they are much like the sagitta.
Sunnyside hatchery of wisconsin had them, but they are not selling any this year.
IDK why..
the sagitta is a cross of a red chicken, and a white meaty.

if you are raising just a few, like 25 to 100, it is not worth the trouble to worry about feed to meat conversion.
If your budget is that tight, then you are far better off to buy butchered chickens, or buy mature chickens and butcher them yourself..
Actually, I am just looking for a place that sells Sagitta.

.......jiminwisc........

One year I got some broilers from another hatchery and they were small at 8 weeks (maybe 2# average less per bird). I raise 100 on the edge of town here (100 because that is what eats about 1000# minimum order for bulk feed from our mill) that is why I only want them around for 8 weeks because of neighbors. I have always had excellent luck with health with Hoovers broilers but sure miss the liveliness of those other broiler running around more and catching grass hoppers. Bottom line is my question is if the " "Red broiler" only took a week or two tops to have virtually the same weight as the white broilers and would be a little more active that would be a perfect bird for me.

Back
Top Bottom