Red golden pheasants

Morgk

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
So sometime in the future I’m interested in getting red golden pheasants. I have a couple of question ingenral first
- How much do you sell the eggs or chicks as?
- Are they easy to raise or tricky?
- How is the best way to raise them? Like enclosure ideas or coops.
- What is the ration from male to female?
- Are the aggressive?
- Will the females hatch their own eggs?
- Are they hardy animals like the cold and heat?
- What do you feed them from chicks to adults?
- Do they lay eggs in a specific time?
- Do they need nesting boxes?
- Should you getting their wings clipped?
- Do you have to get NPIP certified?
Thank You
Ps picture too

So sometime in the future I’m interested in getting red golden pheasants. I have a couple of question ingenral first
- How much do you sell the eggs or chicks as?
- Are they easy to raise or tricky?
- How is the best way to raise them? Like enclosure ideas or coops.
- What is the ration from male to female?
- Are the aggressive?
- Will the females hatch their own eggs?
- Are they hardy animals like the cold and heat?
- What do you feed them from chicks to adults?
- Do they lay eggs in a specific time?
- Do they need nesting boxes?
- Should you getting their wings clipped?
- Do you have to get NPIP certified?
Thank You
Ps picture too
1) prices on eggs and chicks vary depending on the area you’re in and “demand” but juvenile birds i have seen advertised for $50-100 each. and hatching eggs $2-5 per egg. straight run chicks would probably be in $10-25 range depending on age.
2) I don’t have red golden but it’s my understanding that they are fairly easy to keep and raise as far as pheasants go
3) pheasants require predator proof, escape proof, enclosed flight pen settings with hideaways, roosts, etc and are fairly weather tolerant if given the proper housing.
4) males can become aggressive toward other males in breeding season but most are not human-aggressive in my experience
5) 1:4 male female ratio is ideal
6) feed is gamebird feed grower for chicks, and finisher for adults
7) females tend to lay in a nest setting of their choice (my ringneck goes into a coop to lay) but sometimes will lay the occasional egg in a random spot. some hens will hatch the eggs if given the right nesting conditions
8) they do have a breeding season which falls between april and november and may vary based on conditions
9) wing clipping is a personal preference
10) you have to be NPIP certified if you plan to ship any eggs or birds across state lines.

hopefully that helps a bit and 007sean and others can fill in the blanks with additional information

It is extremely rare for goldens to raise their own chicks and it's not really the best idea to let them. Pheasant chicks are extremely susceptible to cocci and should be kept off the ground until they are 8-12 weeks old. If you want them to lay eggs in a certain spot cut some pine or spruce branches and make a lean to for them. Mine love hanging out in their lean to and they consistently lay eggs there.

We have 1 pair of Red Goldens Phesant - new to it - started last summer - they always lay on the ground for us in different places - never laid in nesting boxes - usually every other or every 2 days for eggs - we have an incubator as they don’t seem to lay on them - we had eggs really early this year - started un March - we had 16 eggs this year - they have access to a pen & flight pen

I agree with all these answers except the last one.Niw it may be because your in a different country,but here in N.H.,they start their courtship in late Feb which breeding is soon after,they will lay multiple clutches if you pull the eggs as they lay them.I usually pull the first 6 or 8 eggs,and if the hen decides to set she can on the next clutch,if she doesn't set after 8 eggs I pull them also as they are viable for 15 days.They usually lay until the first week of June,some lay longer.Give them options on egg laying spots like a hanging basket,a tree leaned on the side of the pen or a piece of plywood leaning at an angle.She will pick the spot she is most comfortable with.I find it best to have them set up for laying season inJan so they are use to what's in their pen as they take time to get use to new things in their pen.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom