Red Grit

jhales1952

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks for accepting me into the group. I am brand new raising tumbler pigeons. My husband did this as a child and is back into it. We were told they need red grit with iodine. We are having a hard time finding it. Can anyone help? We have the feed already but need this grit. Thanks again.

Thanks for accepting me into the group. I am brand new raising tumbler pigeons. My husband did this as a child and is back into it. We were told they need red grit with iodine. We are having a hard time finding it. Can anyone help? We have the feed already but need this grit. Thanks again.
Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! I just did a quick search for it and it comes up on Amazon. I can't copy the website page on this little device, but you can go to Amazon and search red pigeon grit and it will come up.

Hey there! Welcome to BYC! Red pigeon grit is AWESOME, but not needed. I mix oyster shell and chick grit in a dish together for my flock. It does the job just fine. If it were the same price, I would do the red grit. But I have not noticed enough difference to spend the extra money. :) I hope this helps!

I purchased a bag of pigeon grit from my local feed store. It is reddish in color, and contains added minerals and trace amounts of other things. I don't have the bag anymore, since I like to keep things in plastic buckets to stay fresh and moisture free. Currently with no pigeons in loft:hit I have been giving grit to my chickens. I have a double bowl cat feeder that I place a quantity of grit in one, and cracked oyster shells into adjacent. Used same setup for my pigeons. I let them pick, and choose,,,,,, they know what they need.
Seems 25 pounds last a very long time:old unless you have a huge flock.
Amazon sells 25 Lbs. for about $45,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't remember exactly, but think I paid about half as much $ for same quantity at feed store.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PRN2K38/?tag=backy-20
91xIhg7RxdL._SL1500_.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

In my country we can not get this red grit stuff. I have kept pigeon for many years and no problem without it.

I do feed them oyster shell grit, which has iodine in it naturally, as well as crushed up cuttle fish bones and they get their own grit when out free flying and pecking about on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom