Red infrared bulb vs white bulb heat lamp

The red bulb doesn't keep them up. I like to have a white bulb on during the day, and a red one on at night. Some of our brooders only have the room for the one light, and I'd rather use a red one all the time than a white one all the time.

The white ones stress them a bit more, thus the pecking. I'd rather spend the extra few $ on electricity than compromise our next generation's well being with stress and possible pecking.

Quote:
Why pay for 250 watts of electricity when you don't need it? Pulling the light away only allows all that wasted heat to go into space. If you give them things to pick at, they generally won't pick at each other. Spread their food around, give them a roost, put something in bright and shiny to peck at - a disposable aluminum bread pan works great for this.. While I agree red bulbs can help and it is a safety measure; you will find many people do not use red bulbs.

Putting the light bulb higher to reduce the temps the chicks' first few week is pretty standard stuff. But I agree on why use 250Watts if you're not going to USE all of it. That's why we do spend the extra bucks and get smaller wattage reptile bulbs. But, keeping the chicks calm and warm is most important. I'll pay a little more for the kidz and I'll always use Red.

I know millions of chicks have grown up just fine under white lights, BUT if daylight is so important to egg production, why mimic daylight with a white bulb and possibly mess with their growing hormones? I have no proof that it does, I'm more so stating the question.

If you noticed, I suggested using an amber bug bulb; which is often suggested instead of the red. The amber light is no where near as bright as a white bulb. People were raising chicks before red bulbs were invented just fine. They need warmth first. Picking is often a sign of boredom, curiosity and normal keeping myself busy chicken behavior.

They are chickens, even at day 1..they need things to peck at because that is what they do. They know to wander around and peck through things to find food, toes look like worms, wood chips look like pieces of food......Once again, I am not saying a red bulb is not something to use if you want & it doesn't have its place.....what I am saying is that a red bulb will not fix or change the underlying issue..

Chickens will still peck. They just might not see the bloody spot created from over pecking. People are trying to humanize chicks by making sure their food stays clean and neat, their floors stay clean and neat..but they can't take away chicken behavior. A red light will NOT stop a chick's natural curiosity or desire to peck. Which goes back to my point...give them things to peck and there most likely will not be a problem in the first place that the red bulb is meant to hide. A red light is essentially a giant band aid. It covers the blood to prevent more injury.

When I noticed I had one chick who insisted that every toe was a worm, that is when I put in the disposable aluminum bread pan. I never had any problems with pecking after that. They all spent lots of time trying to find out why that pan sounded so cool and toes were no longer worms. I also spread their food around and let them dig, like chickens. If chickens have more things to do, they won't peck each other as much..this should be considered first before just putting up a red bulb.

I have no need to give the electric company money I can use myself. Be aware of what causes pecking and that is the first step to stopping any pecking. They slept whenever they want, just like they do in the day.

This is no different than pine..for every person who says pine is great, you will find other sites who say not to use them in the first few weeks becuase chicks can eat them. It is a choice.

Once again, I am not saying a red bulb does not have its place, but it is a choice. There are many people who do not use red bulbs and their chickens are just fine.

I've always used white but I just bough what was available. I've never had problems with picking but maybe I just got a lucky batch xD
QP

I have read a lot about how red keeps the stress down so I wanted a red heat bulb. But 250 was too much for 5 chicks so I went with a 75 watt red flood light bulb. I think it works perfectly and I got it for $4.00 at Lowes!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks all, great info.

I'm helping a friend to get 15 chicks started as they don't have electricity where they live so 25 are mine.

I am going to hang 2 lamps mostly for backup in case one fails. But I'll watch the temps and how they react in the temps. My wife raises Goldens so I'm familiar with how they move around based on temp.

Thanks again, I'll post pics of the new coop in a few days when it's complete.

Last edited:
I always use the red bulbs but always bought them at the pet store (for way too much I might add). I didn't know I could get them at Lowe's (Thanks MyDearWatson!). The only problem I've been having is they have been blowing out on me. It seems like I'm replacing a red bulb everytime I turn around. And that's a real bummer when I live an hour from the pet store and have been paying $10- $20 a bulb!! So tonight the chicks are sleeping with a bright 60 watt white light (sorry chicks). I will be heading to Lowe's tomorrow to get an amber bug light (thanks GiddyMoon). I will also add that I WAS using a 100 watt red bulb with the brooder being in the garage it stayed a good 90 degrees.

You can get lower wattage red brooder bulbs, they're just not so easy to find. Philips makes high-quality brooder bulbs in 100 and 175W. These are hard glass, not at all like the flimsy heat bulbs being sold at the hardware store for bathrooms. This is what I'm using and I found them here: http://localfarmsupply.com/hog-barn.../100-watt-red-phillips-brooder-bulb-2785.html They were actually cheaper than the reptile bulbs as well as being more durable.

I have heard that red bulbs keep chicks from pecking- and they can sleep more soundly without the glaring white light. I use a red bulb, and it works pretty darn good!

Back
Top Bottom