Red Irritated Skin on her backside by her vent

kittycat23

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Hi chicken experts!

I am reaching out to ask what to do about my precious Buff Orpington's skin on her backside right below her vent. (See picture.) I trimmed her feathers because poop was collecting on there since she's so fluffy! But now the skin several months later has become red and looks irritated. She isn't picking at it and I don't want another day to go by that she has to deal with it with the chance that the other hens see she has red skin exposed and maybe start pecking her there.

Do you recommendations of what to help soothe and heal her skin?
I see controversies about Vaseline and olive oil but I am very confused :(

Thank you so much for your feedback!!! I appreciate it a lot!!!
1f423.png
1f497.png

Hi chicken experts!

I am reaching out to ask what to do about my precious Buff Orpington's skin on her backside right below her vent. (See picture.) I trimmed her feathers because poop was collecting on there since she's so fluffy! But now the skin several months later has become red and looks irritated. She isn't picking at it and I don't want another day to go by that she has to deal with it with the chance that the other hens see she has red skin exposed and maybe start pecking her there.

Do you recommendations of what to help soothe and heal her skin?
I see controversies about Vaseline and olive oil but I am very confused
sad.png

Thank you so much for your feedback!!! I appreciate it a lot!!!
1f423.png
1f497.png
Since it's so red you may want to use some Pick-No-More or Blu-Kote to cover it, this may help the others from picking at it.

Okay thank you!

I am still open to other solutions. That blu-coat stuff looks sketchy!

Coconut oil the organic kind mix a little betadine for color and antiseptic properties cause it discourages pecking. The blue stuff is fine but I think I know what you mean since the skin is raw. I would do coconut oil for sure. Also the vetrycn stuff can be sprayed on and works well too. Maybe alternate the two remedies. Taking her inside to heal will help too to heel others from pecking. Feed her eggs to encourage healing or other protein foods. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom