Red Lights-Eye Development Question!

HennyB

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2017
Currituck, NC
Hi everyone!

I've been doing all my due diligence in researching every little thing for getting my chicks this spring; I'm going to be a new momma!

I decided against a heat lamp and want to use the MHP method. My husband mentioned it to someone at work who also raises chickens and he made mention that the red lamps are necessary for the proper development for their eyes. I tried Googling it with little return; he said the MHP was perfectly fine, but just to add a regular red bulb somewhere near their brooder.

Has anyone else heard of this and is it true?

TIA!

~Danielle

Some people swear by fermented feed, and some of use leave out that extra step, and feed right out of the bag. Do pay attention to the date on each bag of feed you buy, and stick with very fresh. That means one month old or preferable fresher, and then don't plan on long term storage. Mary

Hi everyone!

I've been doing all my due diligence in researching every little thing for getting my chicks this spring; I'm going to be a new momma!

I decided against a heat lamp and want to use the MHP method. My husband mentioned it to someone at work who also raises chickens and he made mention that the red lamps are necessary for the proper development for their eyes. I tried Googling it with little return; he said the MHP was perfectly fine, but just to add a regular red bulb somewhere near their brooder.

Has anyone else heard of this and is it true?

TIA!

~Danielle
Welcome to BYC. Danielle, that is the biggest crock of foolishness I've heard in a very long time. Broody hen raised chicks have a great advantage over any artificial brooding we can provide. Broody raised chicks don't have red lights, and they see just fine! MHP is the one thing we can do when artificially brooding our chicks to bring them one step closer to the broody hen model. Those hours of darkness ARE necessary for proper development of the eye, whether it's human, or bird.

You're going to have fun with your little peeps, and when you hear them singing themselves to sleep under their MHP, you'll know you made the right decision.

Might I also suggest: fermented feed, and deep litter management in the coop and run for your chickening pleasure!

Okay, reading LG's response, I now have a mental image of a red, lazer eyed broody hen, her gaze sweeping her chicks and locking focus on their eyes, one at a time.....
gig.gif

I agree with her. Folks repeat things that don't make any sense, without really thinking about them first.

Blooie, I second that emotion. I can't think of any human who would enjoy trying to sleep with their neighbor's outdoor flood light shining in their bedroom window. Yet we have put our baby chicks through that very same thing by flooding their brooders with bright light 24/7.

When I used a heat lamp, because there was a time before I knew there was such a thing as MHP, I felt badly for my chicks and I rigged a dark cloth between them and the light at night. It did a pretty good job of muting it so the chicks were able to sleep all night instead of partying.

Since I was already concerned about the effect of constant light on my chicks, when Blooie presented the concept of heating pad brooding, I eagerly threw away my heat lamp and embraced it. I knew immediately that it was the natural way of brooding I had been wishing for all along but didn't know it.

Have you seen Mrs K's thread on her "wool hen"? MHP may be getting some competition for a light-free/electric-free method of brooding chicks. It has exciting implications for people who can't get electricity to their coops but wish to brood outdoors. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1133855/a-wool-hen-creating-one-today

Last edited:
If using lights, chicks are less likely to pick on other chicks- esp with a small wound or whatnot- under a red light, as the spot is not as visible. That's why they are preferred if heating by lamp.

In a hobby farm, it's easy enough to seperate one chick until well- we don't have a few thousand birds housed together here LOL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom