Chipmunk Chicks

Free Ranging
May 24, 2022
New Jersey, USA
RIR?
Production Red?
Red Starlight Green Egger?
Pullet or Cockerel?

This chick was pulled for us by a Tractor Supply employee as the wrong type of bird. They come from Hoover's. The bin was labeled as a Rare Marans assortment, and also said sex link (so is that referring to the Magnetic Marans or another chick altogether? Anyone's guess) which were mixed in with Starlight Green Eggers, which can look like a lot of things. They may have also had SR RIRs in that day, but Hoover's also has production reds. We think one that I assumed was a yellow SGE chick is probably actually an Amberlink cockerel, so I legit have no idea what the heck was in that bin. Whee!
20230505_225530.jpg
20230505_225435.jpg
20230505_225544.jpg

Let the games begin!

Ooo, yeah.. That looks pretty cockerel ish..
Yes, that's how my first chicks were. All my chicks were cockerel, lol! 🤣
I'm pretty sure he just tried to mate with the palm of my hand! 😳

I was just holding him, and not being super affectionate, just kind of holding him still, and then I released my hold a little bit, so he's sitting on my hands. Then he proceeded to do some kind of wiggly little dance, and left behind a tiny clear puddle on my hand! Is this guy serious!????

I was just holding him, and not being super affectionate, just kind of holding him still, and then I released my hold a little bit, so he's sitting on my hands. Then he proceeded to do some kind of wiggly little dance, and left behind a tiny clear puddle on my hand! Is this guy serious!????
That's interesting!
I'm not sure if a cockerel that young, could produce the *stuff*. But still! 🤣

Is it even possible for him to reproduce a that young??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, that's what I wasn't sure, if she could actually be an SGE like the bin was labeled, or if she's more likely a RIR that jumped the bucket... Or if there's really no way to know until she lays a (possibly green!?) egg.

May be interesting to keep her around and see what happens... :)
If she was labeled as a starlight green egger then I would stick to that. When she lays you'll know for sure.

For real?

If he's a true RIR then he might be useful to keep for sex linking. If he's like a production red or some other hybrid, then maybe not so much...
I thought you were talking about him being SOP breed for a second there. If he is a production red he would be white plus the only leg color he matches is RIR.

I thought you were talking about him being SOP breed for a second there. If he is a production red he would be white plus the only leg color he matches is RIR.
Wow! That is actually really neat! I am wondering if he might have a place in our little flock after all.

And do I still call him RUBY!??? Lol. Rubio? If Sylvia turns out to be a Sylvino, these names are all going to get a bit ridiculous lol

Back
Top Bottom