Red Neck Rooster had lice now neck is really red,

idahoan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Rathdrum, Idaho
I have a rooster that had lice. I am 99% sure they are gone.
The rooster has a partial featherless neck that is bright red and also same problem on both sides of his vent. I tried Blue Kote and also some salve. But neither seem to help. He is healthy, eats well, and is darn right mean. None of the hens have this feather loss problem as they are all in great health. Tonight I tried putting two sided tape on the roost to determine if the problem is mites.
Although, I have used the flashlight to find mites but have not seen any. Does anyone know what can heal up is skin? It looks like a bad sunburn.
sad.png
somad.gif

I did use a propane torch that I use for weeds to burn the ground on the outside part of the pen to kill the lice eggs, used permetrin spray inside the hen house and dusted the flock with sevin dust

Last edited:
Hi Idahoan - If you are sure you've gotten rid of the lice issue, I think it wounds like you are doing what you can to treat the irritated skin. I honestly have not experienced this, but maybe this reply will bump your post so someone can weigh in that has. I would just keep the salve and blue kote on those areas - with no more lice to continue the irritation, I think it will heal on it's own.

Hi Kids, I can shed some light on this subject. Sounds like you have the parasite problem under control. The redness of the skin is a natural occurance for exposed chicken skin. The feathers may not, or should not, grow back until the next moult.

The reason I am aware of the red skin delima is the fact that, being in So FL most of my life, I have been exposed to Hispanic cockers. These guys trim the breast and leg feathers off their cocks so that they cool better when fighting. The breasts always are white when trimmed, but soon turn as red as the comb, wattles, and face and only because of exposure to air and sun. The skin is not irritated. Hope this helps........Pop

Thanks guys,
Even tho that rooster is mean one, he looks like it would be a painful thing to endure. So I will wait it out. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom