Red Organ on the ground - Did this come from a chicken?

dridge11

Songster
7 Years
Apr 5, 2015
I let my girls out this morning and I was hanging out at the end of the run with them before they started free ranging, they usually hang out there and wait for their fresh water. I went to get water, came back and saw this on the ground. It was warm, bloody as you can see, and right where they were hanging out. None of them are acting weird, we inspected everyone's backside and there is nothing that looks unusual. We have one girl that hasn't laid an egg in several months, but seems normal otherwise. Looks organ-like with a small cord hanging off of it. Seemed too dark to be a lash egg, but I haven't cut into it or anything to see what's inside.

It's entirely possible this was there BEFORE I got their water and I just didn't notice it. It was slightly covered in straw, it's the "warm" part that threw me off cause wherever it came from, it is fresh.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.JPG
    IMG_4300.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 17
This happened to me once. It turns out it was something the hawks dropped & the chickens got to & ate. They pooped it out. After a couple of days, she seemed fine. I would keep watching them, just in case.

Yeah, just decided "why not cut it open?"

It's a yolk...smooth and runny inside. If it's the chicken I think it came from, she laid us a perfect egg yesterday.

Its a yolk that came away with all the "fixings" still attached that it had pre ovulation... and, for whatever reason, expelled without the white, membranes and shell forming. You can see whay they look like inside the bird here
View attachment 1130766
Yep, that's exactly what it looked like. Anything to be concerned about or only if it becomes a regular occurrence?

Keep an eye on her.
Hopefully this was just a one time thing.

Back
Top Bottom