red polish w/white crest...what it iz?

paduanchook

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
McDavid Florida
i bought several from hatchery last year. 2 are white crested blacks pullets and a buff roo. but the red one (hen) lays a light brown egg whereas the blacks lay white. I havent seen another one at all n e where or on hatchery web sites..can n e one help?

if ya got it from ideal it is a red crested red polish, they do get white feathers in the feathers. but those are leghorn/ wc black polish x's so it still should lay a white egg. out of curiousity what color are it's earlobes? do u have a pic of it?
silkie

for the longest time it stayed red/red but gradualy the white took over the crest. its about the color of my new hamphire hens and slightly larger than my wc blacks...her eggs r fur sure a light brown......ill get a pic of her 2morrowif i can.
smile.png

i just saw ur website...nice....
although thecoloring is the same my paduan has a full crest like my wc blacks and white

Last edited:
They are a new variety, while pure Polish are *supposed* to lay white eggs-another breed(s) had to be introduced to get the red color- this breed was probably a brown egg layer, it will take selective breeding to get the white egg color back-including crosses back to pure polish. If you aren't concerned with the proper egg color, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Interesting that the egg is a different color. I agree with the mixing of other breeds in to get the feather color affecting the egg color. I can always tell the eggs from my WC Blue's as they are more of a cream color than true white.

thank you, those are when they where smaller, their crests are alot fuller now. i haven't got any eggs from them yet. we have been trying to find out if they are bantam or standard. dh says standard i say bantam but they are about 5mths now and still small they are just a touch bigger than our blues. he thinks bantam now too. the white is also becomeing more in ours now with black tips on tails as well. they are drk red leghorn x with a w/c black polish so should still be white egg layers. i can't wait for my girls to start laying to see what color they are!!

so they r wc reds then? mine is slightly larger than my wc blacks. i call her egg creamcolored if thats an accurate description. she does have blacked tipped tail feathers. n e suggestion where i cud get more of them?
hu.gif

mine r standard size

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom