Red Sex Links or Black Sex Links?

henny1129

Crazy Livestock Gal
Mar 21, 2016
The Great Buckeye State!
My family will be ordering a variety of different chicks this spring and I was looking for yalls opinion on whether we should get Red Sex Links or Black Sex Links. We have previously owned Red Sex Links and found them to be terrific layers and quite friendly too, but I was wondering which of the two breeds you guys prefer more. We will be ordering other breeds as well, so if you've found one of these breeds to be more friendly/accepting towards other breeds, that would be great to know! Thanks in advance! :)

Red sex links and black sex links are both hybrids. They can be based on the commercial hybrid laying chickens or they can be made by crossing standard breeds like RIR or New Hampshire for the rooster and maybe a Delaware or Silver Laced Wyandotte for the hen if you want red sex links or the same roosters with a Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans for Black sex links. There are a lot of other breed combinations that can be used, it’s just that those are some of the more common.

Calling them RSL or BSL doesn’t say anything other than they can be sexed at hatch. There is nothing magical about egg laying ability or behaviors, it purely depends on the individual and the tendencies of her parents. Since most sex links from hatcheries are made from chickens that lay well the odds are whatever you get will lay well.

I suggest you don’t stress over this, just get some that you think are pretty or maybe get some of each. In the greater scheme of things, it’s just the luck of the draw in which individuals you happen to get. As far as them being either RSL or BSL, it just doesn‘t matter. It just doesn’t matter.

I haven't found a whole lot of difference. It's basically what you want to look at every day
smile.png

Have a couple red sex linked - Golden Comet and Cinnamon Queen. Yes they lay much earlier than other chickens - 18-19 weeks of mine. However, they have laid EVERY day one egg each. Cinnamon Queen lays Xtra Lg eggs and Golden Comet lays Lge egg. Interestingly however, even though the eggs are Lge/Xtra Lge, I don't find the yolksto be bigger than my heritage breed eggs and the whites are greater. However, bred as production hybrids, their production drops dramatically at 2 years old. They are extremely active and LOUD - I don't think suitable to backyard flocks in Suburbia. I love their egg laying but the noise is not acceptable - I think that comes from the RIR. They are friendly and squat when I enter their pen and tolerate my petting and holding. So unless you're into replenishing your flock every couple of years and deal with the nonproductive hens, I'd steer clear of all sex-linked hybrids. I could never process any of my hens so rehoming would be my only choice, but who wants a nonproductive hen?

"...There is nothing magical about egg laying ability or behaviors, it purely depends on the individual and the tendencies of her parents. Since most sex links from hatcheries are made from chickens that lay well the odds are whatever you get will lay well."

I disagree. They do out produce with 340 per year. Mine didn't miss a day YEAR ROUND for nearly two years - the magic date that both fell off production dramatically the following year to under 100 and when not laying they end to get aggressive with the other hens. They are LOUD and very active birds. Hybrids often pick up the flaws of both parents like the RIRs noise.

Since you won’t explain yourself I don’t know what to reply to. I find a lot of misunderstandings can be cleared up if you understand what others are saying. When you have to guess what the other person might mean it can get really complicated.

Back
Top Bottom