red star hen crossed with barred rock rooster

Thanks so much! I meant to take pics of my crossbred chicks but I gave them to my cousins the other day, they were just so excited to get some chickens!

There were two full black ones, and two full yellow ones (which I guess will eventually be red), and they both had minor bits of leakage. The black ones had a few specks of yellow, and the yellow ones had a few specs of black.

One of them had longer tale feathers than the others, which makes me suspect there is at least 1 rooster so far... but I dunno, I guess we'll see. Next time I'm down at their place, I will take photos for you! (They live three hours away, so it might be a few weeks/months before I can)

Sorry, I went on vacation and didn't get pics taken before I left. Here are pics of Baby, my Barred Rock/Red Star cross. She's about 15 weeks old now...

She mostly looks like a barred rock, but has bright yellow legs. She's a little stockier than a barred rock pullet, also.
She has a brilliant greenish-blue sheen to the black near her tail when she sun shines on her. She also has a yellowish spot in a couple of places. You can see it on her right wing here, I tried to get a close-up but had the wrong lens on for that, sorry.

I dont think that is a Barred Rock Rooster. It is too dark. Barred Rock roosters usually have more white in their feathers and the hens are darker in color. I'm pretty sure the you rooster is a cookoo maran.

Those are some very pretty eggs you have there; nice and dark. I'm sometimes surprised at how dark of an egg the RSL's can lay.

I dont think that is a Barred Rock Rooster. It is too dark. Barred Rock roosters usually have more white in their feathers and the hens are darker in color. I'm pretty sure the you rooster is a cookoo maran.

More than likely it is a BSL rooster or another version of a half Barred Rock and some thing else when they are heterozygous barred(dark barred) it means they only have one barring allele instead of two like a pure Barred male would carry which makes the barring lighter(grey) than the female.

On the other OP? If you used a pure BR male over the Red star depending on the genetic make up of whether it(RSL) carried dominant white or red columbian you would get different colored chicks.
BRxRed star(RSL/dominant white)= 50 barred chicks and 50white chicks, BRxRSL(red columbian) all(100%) would be Barred.

Jeff

Last edited:
I recently went down to my cousin's place and saw the chickens I took down two months ago (the ones which I originally posted about).

These are the chicks, born in June, a week or so after they hatched.

And this is how big they are now!

The mothers were ISA brown hens (a red sex link) and the father was a Barred Rock. I think the white hen with black spots is pretty ugly, but I don't mind the black one :)

Last edited:
More than likely it is a BSL rooster or another version of a half Barred Rock and some thing else when they are heterozygous barred(dark barred) it means they only have one barring allele instead of two like a pure Barred male would carry which makes the barring lighter(grey) than the female.

On the other OP? If you used a pure BR male over the Red star depending on the genetic make up of whether it(RSL) carried dominant white or red columbian you would get different colored chicks.
BRxRed star(RSL/dominant white)= 50 barred chicks and 50white chicks, BRxRSL(red columbian) all(100%) would be Barred.

Jeff

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Very educational. Thank You!!!!

Me again: one of my pullets has just laid her first egg! It is so tiny and small compared to the other hens, at least three quarters of it's size. Would it be safe to put in the incubator, or should the eggs all be around the same size? Thanks! :)

Here's a picture for comparison:

Obviously, the new pullet egg is the one second from left :) all the others are from the first hen we have, who's been laying for a few months.

Here's a picture of our first hen:

And the rooster:

As you can see our coop needs cleaning up a bit, which I will probably do today :)

Thanks!

I don't like to incubate tiny, pullet eggs. I'd absolutely wait until the eggs become more normal size. I'm questioning your rooster. Do I see white legs and white ear lobes? Could be wrong, but it may be a different kind of barred breed. Do you have any hens that are that rooster's sisters/hatch mates? Do they lay brown or white eggs?

I recently went down to my cousin's place and saw the chickens I took down two months ago (the ones which I originally posted about).
These are the chicks, born in June, a week or so after they hatched.

And this is how big they are now!

The mothers were ISA brown hens (a red sex link) and the father was a Barred Rock. I think the white hen with black spots is pretty ugly, but I don't mind the black one
smile.png

Yeah, you see there you ended up with exactly half and half; the white one is from the dominant white in the female and the black is from the Barred father, which barred= black plumage with white barring

Originally Posted by catdaddyfro

BRxRed star(RSL/dominant white)= 50% barred chicks and 50%white chicks, BRxRSL(red columbian) all(100%) would be Barred.

Jeff

jeff

Last edited:
I'm back. My pullet is indeed a rooster. A huge, pretty boy. Headed for the stock pot
sad.png

Here he is. Once again, his father was barred rock and his mother red sex link.

Back
Top Bottom