red star

ole red

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
poplar grove, ar.
o-k if the red star is a hybrid, and does not breed true.

what do the chicks look like?

is it a lot of white?

i guess a good question would be, what is the make up/ cross, involved in the make up of redstars?

would also like to know the same info. on comets.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but this is what I herd..

Red sex-links ( Red Stars - Comets ) are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware hen.

Chris

those are very informative links, thanks.

i see where the golden comet rooster looks about like the hens, i am wondering if thier chicks would mostly be red or white?

or could go either way?

Quote:
can't white leghorns work in this cross too?

RIR and White Leghorn offspring will be white with black leaks but can be sexed by featherswill have feather shafts on the backside of the down feathers

you are wrong about this, i have this cross and the female is white with some light colored black spots, and the male is red and white.

redroosta,
Nitro is not wrong. Pheomelanin (colour) leakage in such a cross cannot be guaranteed.

In most cases a white leghorn is basically a black bird with barring & silver; the dominant white stops the black pigment. You will have seen that, generally speaking, a black bird when bred with most other colours will give all black offspring. Sometimes there is leakage, more especially in the males, though sometimes also in females. this is what happens with white leghorns but the dominant white stops the black pigment from being put down. Also good white leghorns are often silver this would affect any red leakage.

Last edited:
Quote:
Basically the Barring and the Silvering is masking/ covering up the black in a White Leghorn so you don't see it.. Krys is that right? If so would that make the White Leghorn a Sport?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom