Red tail hawk is killing our flock

Did you ever talk to him and let him know what his dog did?
Oh' yeah, several times. He thought it was funny saying, 'He's just doing what dogs do'. He ain't laughing no more. I wasn't the only land owner his dog would pester. Apparently he felt leash laws didn't apply to him. Once the dog started killing, there was only one way to stop him, and to show DUMAS neighbor I meant what I said. Sorry it cost the dog, but sometimes it comes down to that. In Pa. I acted completely within the law. The positive side of that was any other pets that used to be seen near my farm haven't been seen anywhere close unless they're on a leash.

I just have a question for everyone here,,,,,, If you're not willing to protect your live stock with the same diligence and force that you would protect your family, why do you even have 'em? To me, they're my children and I will do whatever I have to do to keep 'em safe from whatever threat they face. The same as I would protect my wife, my children and grandchildren. The same as I would protect you and yours if I see you in danger anywhere or anytime.
I didn't raise my family to be fodder for whatever dangers are out there, and I didn't raise my livestock to be fodder for wildlife or the neighbors dog. If you think it's OK for anything that comes along to kill one of your chickens off your boot-tops, YOU DON'T NEED TO RAISE CHICKENS. They depend on YOU to protect them, so protect them.

I just have a question for everyone here,,,,,, If you're not willing to protect your live stock with the same diligence and force that you would protect your family, why do you even have 'em? To me, they're my children and I will do whatever I have to do to keep 'em safe from whatever threat they face. The same as I would protect my wife, my children and grandchildren. The same as I would protect you and yours if I see you in danger anywhere or anytime.
I didn't raise my family to be fodder for whatever dangers are out there, and I didn't raise my livestock to be fodder for wildlife or the neighbors dog. If you think it's OK for anything that comes along to kill one of your chickens off your boot-tops, YOU DON'T NEED TO RAISE CHICKENS. They depend on YOU to protect them, so protect them.
You are trolling thinking your neck is redder than the peoples you are talking to.

I have a good number of chickens that are more highly valued than anything used solely for egg / meat production. My flock is closed so I do not have to purchase replacements, I breed them myself with extras either sold or consumed. Some years I loose a few to predators, some years none lost to predators. Most of the chickens have at least a free-range stage. I have yet to kill a raptor doing this. I have killed a good number of the mammal type predators, probably a couple hundred at least for purpose of protecting the chickens but that kill rate is dropping even when my flock size is increasing and the predator population is stable or even increasing. What really needs to be considered is I am increasingly investing in other methods to prevent losses to predators, saving in time and labor across the board. I know how much trouble is involved sitting out with a firearm as done it many times. I have killed dogs and my dogs have done it for me as well. Little tricks like hotwire fencing, dogs of my own, cover patches, closing birds up at night, and consideration of how a given type of predator operates is what I do.

It gets to be a tickle watching all the flash in the pan poultry keepers that are the shoot em up types or use only one measure to protect their birds. Those same parties are almost always the most polarized about how poultry keeping should be.

Oh' yeah, several times. He thought it was funny saying, 'He's just doing what dogs do'. He ain't laughing no more. I wasn't the only land owner his dog would pester. Apparently he felt leash laws didn't apply to him. Once the dog started killing, there was only one way to stop him, and to show DUMAS neighbor I meant what I said. Sorry it cost the dog, but sometimes it comes down to that. In Pa. I acted completely within the law. The positive side of that was any other pets that used to be seen near my farm haven't been seen anywhere close unless they're on a leash.

We got a call that two peoples dogs were running some sheep we had on some of our property from our tenant that lives there... we got called out to check them, the sheep were all there and uninjured, just very distressed.

We were also met by the two dogs owners as well... with their own guns, because we would be well within our rights to have their dogs put down, and they were prepared and willing to do it if necessary... this is fully fenced pasture.

Part of responsible pet ownership is controlling your animal and keeping your dog on your own/off your neighbors property. I live in Canada with far stricter gun laws than most people on this forum. If you’re keeping livestock, not just pet chickens, you have more legal options for dealing with pests/predators/neighbors-who-can’t-be -bothered-to-care-properly-for-their-dogs by controlling them.

I second the vote for chicken tractors and chunnels. Those would certainly protect the birds while unattended.

To free range knowing there are hawks around would be safer while attended only.
It wont stop a hawk completely but is better than unattended in hawk zone.

We have a lot of hawks here. My birds are in pens if I cannot be right there 100% of the time they are out.

I hope you can find what works for you (and is legal).

I do not want to be fined or go to jail for killing a hawk

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...oting-Killing-Endangered-Hawks-274525851.html
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article175267256.html

We have hawks too. I used to let my chickens out for supervised free ranging. Until a hawk was perched in a nearby tree.

I don't think my chickens need to free range as much as they need to be alive. I bring them greens every morning. Can't imagine why they'd be less nutritious in the run than in the yard.

It's been about a year since their last free ranging. The hawks are still around but they're not just waiting for their opportunity anymore.

Build a bigger covered run. Throw in greens and mealworms. The chickens won't be missing anything. The hawks will.

How about low mobile shelters? Like Justin Rhodes “meat-shaw” to give cover in the open areas, but not restrict the ranging? So far my chickens seem fairly smart, they hear a raven and boom! They are all huddled under or in their roosting box together, despite being in a fully covered chicken tractor... maybe my chickens are just, well... chicken!

Sometimes there are laws regarding livestock that override these acts... it would depend on the situation and possibly the state. I’m in Canada.

I notice that the article linked doesn’t state why he was shooting them, just that it was over his “home”. Was he hunting them for trophies? Taxidermy? Just because? Does he keep chickens or any livestock?

We can legally shoot hawks and eagles on our farm if they are harassing or damaging our livestock. We cannot however do anything with them once dead... no harvesting feathers, taxidermy, etc. it’s illegal to even posses the feathers from these animals (unless you’re full Status First Nations) but if they attack our livestock we can kill them.

Check to see what you can legally do before you start shooting anything... when it comes to predators sometimes a permanent solution is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom