Red tail hawks..

Obviously cover your run. If your birds free range, some say stringing fishing line (with or without shiny dvds/cds) across the areas where they hang out will deter hawks. Others suggest a good rooster (for sounding the alarm) or well trained dog...

I watched a pair circling today...it'll be a while before my little girls are allowed out of the run....

We couldn't cover our run as our chickens roam our fenced orchard.

Here's what we did, and it's been a few months and not another attack.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

We have a lot of Red Tailed hawks in my area as well. They do not bother my chickens, & I do not do anything preventative. I've seen the Red Tailed hawks around me chasing, catching and eating squirrels.

i have also been found by the local hawks. i watched one grab one of my roosters only to drop him a couple days ago. the rooster was fine, but i did loose my little banty roo a cpl weeks ago without a trace in the middle of the day abd i was thinking it was a hawk, now i am sure.
i have seen at least one around every day now. my chick free range and have lots of space for cover and i think they are being more cautious now.
i am wondering if there is anything i can do to help. will leaving a dog out help scare them off? i dont really want to string fishing line everywhere for my chickens and i use the same areas.

on the plus side this is the closest i have ever come to hawks in the wild and i have always had a fascination with birds of prey i just dont want to lose any of my flock to them.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom