"REDSTARS"

bigmac03

Chirping
Jul 6, 2014
Ok guys and gals, i have recently bought 15 redstar chicks. Im building my house where i can access my eggs from outside the house. I have it framed for a 10x10x10 is this sufficient. Also any tips would be great this is my "first rodeo"

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

After you read these, follow the link in my signature about room. For 15 hens a 10’x10’ coop should be great but it depends a bit on how you manage them. Trust me, at that size for 15 hens yours will have more room in the coop than a majority on this forum. It’s a great start.

Thanks that was my next question thats the size i built. I guess i should have been more clear. As far as my laying boxes go though will a 10"x10"x10" high be enough/to much or ok

Sorry, I was obviously thinking your question was coop, not nesting boxes.

Your 10” nests will work, but I personally like bigger nest boxes. It’s pretty common for mine to have two or even three hens sharing a nest even if there are empty nests available. There are photos on this forum where one hen is sitting squarely on top of another hen to lay. I like them to have more room than that.

Also, if you allow a broody hen to hatch with the flock, you’ll see baby chicks standing on top of Mama in the nest. In a small nest Mama will be sitting right next to the edge. When that chick falls off it might miss the nest completely and hit the floor. That’s not good.

I made mine 16” x 16” x 16”, mainly because that was the spacing of my wall studs and it made framing easy. For the reasons above, I’m glad I did.

A general rule of thumb on this forum is that you need about 1 nest for every 4 hens, but that is based on the 12” cube. If you build the nest bigger, they can handle more hens. If you stay with your 10” nests or go with 12”, I’d suggest you build 4 of them. If you go with bigger nests like mine, three will probably be enough.

I also suggest you have at least a 4" lip across the bottom of the nest to hold the bedding and eggs in. The hens like to scratch and rearrange the nesting material. if your lip is too low, they will scratch the bedding out.

Ok folks i have just put my 6week old redstars in there new coop i went out to check on them and their roosting in the run part on the ground will they figure out where the roost is in the house or what do i need to do?

You'll have to go out every night, pick them up one by one and put them in the coop. Then close the door. They'll learn this is were they are suppose to go and will start going in on their own.
You can put them up on their roast or just put them on the floor and they will figure out the roast on their own. Good luck!

Thats what i have been doing once i put them up there they seem to stay it just seemed like that aas what i was suppose to do tonight will be only the 3rd night. I gave the bottom of the coop door cut off about a foot so i can shut it if its suppose to storm and they can still access shelter do i need to make my door full length again?

Back
Top Bottom