Reducing Aggression with In Heat Pot Bellied Pig

NuAgePaulBunyun

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Schluersburg, / Augusta, MO
Just got a new friend. Has worked out well, but she has gone in heat and has become very aggressive towards me and my daughter( 2 years old ) Nothing dangerous, but Popcorn ( the pig ) is using her snout to root around on her and my legs trying to climb up my leg. But overly powefful for my daughter. Any tips to reduce her aggressive behavior u til we can get her spade?

Insist ? not be naïve, but how do I insist ? I have begun to use a small twig to gently tap rear end as she is using her snout to climb my leg. Seems to work . were also just keeping great distance b/n the pig and my daughter. Seems to be working well. Only a few more days longer than the vet can do her spacing.

She is dangerous, and needs to learn to respect your space all the time. Being in heat is an excuse; don't fall for it! Talk to 4-H people, hog farmers, ag extension, anyone who can direct you to experienced people in swine management. She's smart, and not a toy poodle! Mary

Last edited:
This may not be of much help because my experience with mini pigs is limited. I have never had problems with aggressive hogs in heat or not. The exception is sows with litters. They can be very protective of their babies. If I were you I would have a piece of plywood whenever I went in with that sow. You can use it as a barrier between you and her. Your pig's behavior is not going to change overnight. For one thing, it is going to take some time for the hormones to get out of her system. Secondly, it sounds like she has picked up some bad habits.

Back
Top Bottom