Reflective Insulation - Anyone use it in their coop?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Jan 23, 2013
Pocono Mtns
My Coop
My Coop
I know there are varying opinions about insulating chicken coops, but I have decided to insulate at least the floor and the roof of my coop. The floor to keep it warmer for them in the winter and the roof to keep it cooler for them in the summer. The insulation I plan on using is a reflective insulation It reflects radiant heat. Probably the best known brand is Reflectix. (http://www.reflectixinc.com/) It reflects radient energy away from or back into depending on how you install it.. It is sold in Lowe's and Home Depot and the price is quite reasonable. It looks relatively easy to work with and has many redeemable qualities such as:

• Reflects 94% + of radiant energy (Reflective/Bubble Reflective Insulation)
• Reflects 95% of radiant energy (Reflective/Fabric Radiant Barrier)
• Easy to install
• Fiber-free
• Does not require protective clothing or respirators to install
• Class A / Class 1 Fire Rating
• Inhibits condensation
• Resists growth of fungi, mold and mildew
• Non-toxic / non-carcinogenic
• Does not compress, collapse or disintegrate
• Durable and lightweight
• Environmentally safe
• Does not promote nesting of insects or rodents
• Lowers heating and cooling costs year-round
• Vapor and radon retarder
• Not affected by moisture or humidity
• Permanent and maintenance free

Has anyone used this, and what were the results? Like it; not like it?

I wanted to jump in and help clarify some points concerning reflective insulation and insulating your chicken houses. There are two ways to look at insulating. First, and this pertains to radiant barrier sheathing, would be a new build or new construction. OSB suppliers offer radiant barrier sheathing which is essentially radiant barrier insulation laminated to a sheet of plywood. If this material is available in your local market this will alleviate your need to install the insulation. The second, and this pertains to reflective insulation or bubble insulation, is for the remodel or to insulate existing buildings (can also be used to insulate new buildings if you are not constructing them with plywood).

The confusion comes in with the industry terminology. Radiant barriers, the actual product, is a sheet like material whereas reflective bubble foil insulation is reflective surfaces fused to an inner single or double layer of polyethylene bubbles. All of these materials fall under the umbrella of reflective insulation and all will work to help keep heat in during winter months (the birds and/or heat source) provide the heat and will keep heat out during summer months. In summer, the radiant heat is generated by the sun which warms up the roofing material and radiates this heat downward into the coop.

Typically radiant barriers are used in sheathing or under the roof joists in residential houses. The reflective bubble insulation is used more often in the agricultural sector (barns, metal buildings, chicken coups, etc.)

For our projects I prefer the reflective bubble insulation. Because the product has a thickness and traps air in the material it is not only a radiant barrier but provides R-Value as well. It does cost more per square foot but there is more material. Our two chicken houses are insulated with bubble foil (red-stars and white leg horns). We also use the material to insulate the inside of an enclosure we built in one of the barns for the well pump and water tank. We used to heat the little room with a heat lamp and now only have to use a 60W incandescent bulb. Further uses include the stable where we keep the Jersey calves. The regular cow stables are warm enough with the animal's body heat to not need insulation.

I'm a bit biased, but you cannot beat this material for several reasons. It's tough and flexible. It can be washed and reused, and it is impervious to moisture which is always high in agricultural buildings. The price, as compared to other insulating materials is very reasonable. Hope this helps.

I saw it was available at McCoys, but they appear to be located only in Texas. I also saw it on the HD site. I will contact them to see if they can get it for me.
I just bought some reflective bubbles insulation from menards if you have that store by you i hope it works for my coop

I did put some of this in the ceiling and around the area were my pullets roost.my coop does have some cracks were the boards dried out.and separated.i have pop doors in the bottom in my coop.and when i close those up at night .the coops does feel warm and cozy.(and it may be just a mind thing on my part).its not expensive and easy to put up.we stapled ours.I'm hoping this will help this summer.

I did put some of this in the ceiling and around the area were my pullets roost.my coop does have some cracks were the boards dried out.and separated.i have pop doors in the bottom in my coop.and when i close those up at night .the coops does feel warm and cozy.(and it may be just a mind thing on my part).its not expensive and easy to put up.we stapled ours.I'm hoping this will help this summer.

That sounds good, bucky. It has so many good things about it, especially for a coop.

Someone on this site used this.they lived in Arizona.i was told this really helped cooled down their coops.

my roof is metal also.My DH loves our little flock of hens.but he is the worst when it comes to anything i want to do as far as the coop and run.he question me on the reflective insulation. i told him i would love to have a huge run for my girls.WHY? was his remark.you only have 8 chickens.they do have a nice covered run.but i can't let my girls free range we have to many hawks and roaming dogs.The huge run is a dream,It may be built and it may not.

my roof is metal also.My DH loves our little flock of hens.but he is the worst when it comes to anything i want to do as far as the coop and run.he question me on the reflective insulation. i told him i would love to have a huge run for my girls.WHY? was his remark.you only have 8 chickens.they do have a nice covered run.but i can't let my girls free range we have to many hawks and roaming dogs.The huge run is a dream,It may be built and it may not.

Ah, you can talk him into it. The more I read about the reflective insulation, the more I likeit.

We used radiant barrier OSB in our coop and run roofs. Currently we are building a new coop in which we are also installing radiant barrier OSB . I wonder if it is the same or something similar to the reflective insulation. The OSB sheets have this silver color material in one side. We have metal roofs on top of this material and I noticed this past summer (first one with chickens) that it really helped with the heat (106F average). We are also adding insulation (R13) to the new coop's roof to make it even cooler, my girls had a real hard time with the high temps last summer so DH and I are always looking for ways to keep them the least stressed. This summer I plan to take some readings on temps at different times of the day to see how much this insulation efforts help. We will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom