Reforming an aggressive rooster (project)

Pics
He's a Bielefelder, about a year and a half old. None of his brothers show human aggression. The behavior has moderated at this point, apparentlydue to changes in my own behavior. I suspect this will be an ongoing project.
Well good luck.

Bieles are well known for being tamer than most and every one I have had has been living proof of that. I am shocked that yours is a Bielefelder.

I have had great luck with a few tactics for those roos of mine that during their first and second spring decide to show signs that they want to challenge.

1. I pick them up and carry them showing them off to all their buddies and ladies.

2. I push them around with body proximity. I make them move out of the way for me on purpose and if there is any hesitation I doggedly follow them until they disengage and leave.

3. I never feed from my hands.

4. I am the fight breaker upper. If two of mine decide it is on between them and their fighting is escalating I will intervene picking whichever roo is more docile of the two to be the one that gets to have the win while I carry the more aggressive one around on his shame parade. Talking nicely and petting him the whole time.

5. If they start the scuttle towards me I never push them away. I will gently hold them in place and when they relax, up they go into my arms to be carried around.

5. No over handling of chicks that are suspected roos. No putting them up to faces and on shoulders. Sends the wrong message. If possible all chicks are raised inside for the first week or so, around the chaos of my children. To make sure that they are as desensitized as possible.

6. Lots of soft, happy talking and confident handling. My kids all are trained on this as well.

7. Any roo that has had multiple months each spring spent on correcting and still chooses to be aggressive is no longer with us. Any roo in his third spring that continues to show aggression will also no longer be on the farm. And finally, any roo that targets my children but leaves adults alone will also find themselves no longer around. In the past thirty years tending chickens I have had only 10 or so roos that didn't make the cut.

**This works for me. And this is what I am comfortable with. I work with primarily egg layers and dual purpose. I do not have experience with breeds that historically have been used for anything else.

Last edited:
@Shadrac…Lowering of the head and pecking at the ground, often moving towards the opponent is pre fight behaviour. So I have been working with my Reggie for the last 2 years, this is what he does, if I raise my voice he moves away? He’s a polish so often looks up then jumps, should I be worried?

No problems this week. I did realize something, though. My hair is quite long, so I always keep it tied up in what some might :) call a rooster tail. Combed up in back and wrapped together so it sticks over the top of my head. I pulled my hair down when I went out there this week, JIC. I wonder if visuals have been part of the problem?

He still watches me warily, but this week he actually started following me a few times with his head up, no sign of aggression. Just a few steps, he stopped once he got past the girls.

@Shadrac…Lowering of the head and pecking at the ground, often moving towards the opponent is pre fight behaviour. So I have been working with my Reggie for the last 2 years, this is what he does, if I raise my voice he moves away? He’s a polish so often looks up then jumps, should I be worried?
The tag was messed up, Mrs. J
@Shadrach

Back
Top Bottom