Refrigerating fresh wet mash?

o2bgreenntx

Songster
9 Years
Feb 1, 2014
Greenville, TX
I made wet mash for my girls for the first time. Got it to the consistency I wanted and stuck it in fridge for an hour or so - VERY hot here! They really liked it and I watched them until they had their fill then picked up bowl and put back in fridge. Is it OK to keep the leftovers in fridge to save for another feeding? I only used layer crumbles and filtered cold tap water.

Sure. It should be fine.

How many chickens do you have total and are they full grown?

I'm asking because you could measure a smaller amount and you don't necessarily have to refrigerate it Just using cool water would be an awesome treat for them.

Sure. It should be fine.

How many chickens do you have total and are they full grown?

I'm asking because you could measure a smaller amount and you don't necessarily have to refrigerate it Just using cool water would be an awesome treat for them.
I have 4 grown hens. I just didn't know how much they might eat, so as usual, I made too much. Will feed more tomorrow and then throw out. The heat has been brutal on all of us, as you know, being a fellow Texan! Thank you for your input, may try to ferment and see how that goes.

I have 4 grown hens. I just didn't know how much they might eat, so as usual, I made too much. Will feed more tomorrow and then throw out. The heat has been brutal on all of us, as you know, being a fellow Texan! Thank you for your input, may try to ferment and see how that goes.
On average...a full grown bird will eat approximately 3/4 cup worth of feed per day.
Probably less when it's this hot out.

Agreed, fridge to chicken is fine. Chicken to fridge is gross. Unless you have a spare fridge that you only use for this purpose, I wouldn't do this for cross contamination reasons.

However, maybe a fun middleground - make some wet mash in the evening, freeze it overnight, give it to the chickens in the morning?

Agreed, fridge to chicken is fine. Chicken to fridge is gross. Unless you have a spare fridge that you only use for this purpose, I wouldn't do this for cross contamination reasons.

However, maybe a fun middleground - make some wet mash in the evening, freeze it overnight, give it to the chickens in the morning?
They ate out of a bowl on a clean piece of newspaper on the patio. We don't feed in the run as a rule. After I let them out in the a.m., they free range the rest of the day. Thank you for your cross-contamination concerns! I am immunosuppressed and try to be very careful!

Back
Top Bottom