Regarding (accidental) raw egg eating.

ChatKath47

Songster
7 Years
May 19, 2015
I brought three eggs from the nest today and one accidently fell out of my hand onto the ground. One of my three ladies pounced on it as I quickly tried to scoop up the shell and as much of the raw egg as I could. The other two came running, too, and I dashed for the gardent hose to wash up the rest as quickly as I could. My concern is that I've read that if chickens get a taste of the raw egg they might try breaking into their eggs to eat them. Has anyone had this happen? Does it happen with the taste of only one egg, or does it happen only if there are repeated incidences? Now I'll have to watch them like a hawk to be sure they're not pecking the shells of any future eggs. That's the last thing I want to happen!

I feed raw eggs every now and then as a treat.
I have never had a chicken break an egg in the nest to eat it herself.

Feeding eggs, raw or cooked, does not make them turn into egg eaters.

i used to throw the girls a raw egg or two every day, but then they started eating the eggs. know occasionally i throw them a cracked egg.
know as for my ducks, i give them 1-2 eggs a day, because they cannot crack their eggs on their own, so there is nothing to worry about.

I'm fairly positive that I have an egg attacker in the flock now.
It began after a few odd instances where eggs placed up on the shelf in Zoo rolled off, cracking on floor.
Now I keep finding shell pieces, or sticky yolk, or entire eggs missing when I know one was in a nest.
I already removed one chipmunk that was stealing. Could be another about, but I've seen the way these hens attack cracked eggs.

In my personal experience yes, some hens love the taste of eggs so much they have cracked and eaten eggs from the nests after only tasting it once. But not all hens will do it, so I would just watch and see what she does.

Back
Top Bottom