Regrets

Migou08

Hatching
Jul 26, 2017
We just recently became backyard chicken owners to 3 hens. I'm feeling a little stressed and possibly regretting this decision. The girls are so destructive to our yard and garden. Plus SO much poo. We did our research before getting them, but I guess I wanted them so badly I ignored all the warnings. Any advice?

We just recently became backyard chicken owners to 3 hens. I'm feeling a little stressed and possibly regretting this decision. The girls are so destructive to our yard and garden. Plus SO much poo. We did our research before getting them, but I guess I wanted them so badly I ignored all the warnings. Any advice?
Maybe you could build a chicken run for them?

Chickens are destructive. Can you make them a nice big run to keep them confined somewhat?

All things poop, I consider it nice manure for my garden.

Don't beat yourself up if chickens aren't your thing, find them a good home and get a hobby you like.

X3 on a run, if they're not already in one. And get a pooper scooper for the poop - I clean up every 24 to 48 hrs so there's really nothing to step in, plus the poop is highly valuable in compost.

The reality is the fantasy of chickens idyllically wandering a beautiful garden is just that, fantasy, for the majority of owners. If you truly don't enjoy it, then it shouldn't be too hard to rehome a little backyard flock of 3 hens.

waaaaaaaaaaaa... i want chickens wandering around my garden and i cant have chickens wandering around my garden... :hit last time i let them out the pesky fox took one of them... right in front of my baby sister... :th

Chickens will explore/taste everything..and poo. I've see soon pretty inqinious ways to control them. Check out Pinterest for coop/run ideas. I saw one that incorporated wire tube shape tunnels around the yard/garden. Unfortunately they will peck at garden goodies. Other option is to fence off the garden.

I felt the same way after letting my pullets free range. The gardens that I busted my butt on were getting destroyed..I put little picket fences around the areas I couldn't bear for them to dig in and allow them other areas. I have a poop rake and after dinner I just wander around for ten minutes and do poop patrol while I am waiting for them to go back to the coop. foreground is off limits but mulch around tree in back they are allowed in

Attachments

• 1504564590757318100189.jpg
    1504564590757318100189.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 9
I felt the same way after letting my pullets free range. The gardens that I busted my butt on were getting destroyed..I put little picket fences around the areas I couldn't bear for them to dig in and allow them other areas. I have a poop rake and after dinner I just wander around for ten minutes and do poop patrol while I am waiting for them to go back to the coop. foreground is off limits but mulch around tree in back they are allowed in

We are still looking for fencing around this garden ..my speckled Sussex LOVES to dig in it ;(

Attachments

• 15045647373111581552322.jpg
    15045647373111581552322.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom