Regrouping after predator wipe-out...

How much do you normally pay for a laying hen? I got my chicks for free when a friend had more hatch than expected. The seven I got this and last week cost me 10 a bird.
Is this for adult birds? I've found a few in my area selling off flocks fairly cheap, but that is mostly duel purpose (RIR's BR, Leghorn, ect.) or hybrids. I haven't found cochin's in my area at all much less for $10! You got quite a deal on that little beauty!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Is this for adult birds? I've found a few in my area selling off flocks fairly cheap, but that is mostly duel purpose (RIR's BR, Leghorn, ect.) or hybrids. I haven't found cochin's in my area at all much less for $10! You got quite a deal on that little beauty!
yippiechickie.gif
Yes the birds I got are about 8 months old. Ironically since I started looking to replace my flock I have only been able to get silkies, aruacanas, japanese bantams, cochins, frizzles and brahmas all for 10 bucks each but for RIRs, Leghorn etc. There is a very limited stock up here in Alaska.

Here is Nadine (brahma) and Leona (gold laced cochin). I am still trying to get good pics of the five we added last week.
Beautiful birds! Can't wait to see the rest of your flock!

Here's a "baby picture" of one with prettier coloring-you can see them all grown up in my avatar pic.
Your Wyandotte is pretty! I love the colored birds.

We spent last week putting netting/wire over the top of the whole area and I got myself a new flock on the weekend
I plan on putting the poultry netting/wire across the top of my outdoor pen for the same reason. I've seen a fox or two around, but our problem will be coyotes, coons, skunks and opossums. Good luck with your new flock! Got pics?!?!

Yes the birds I got are about 8 months old. Ironically since I started looking to replace my flock I have only been able to get silkies, aruacanas, japanese bantams, cochins, frizzles and brahmas all for 10 bucks each but for RIRs, Leghorn etc. There is a very limited stock up here in Alaska.
I bet. All of those are heavily feathered birds, I'm not sure RIRs would do that well in such extreme cold. They do fine in our Winters but it rarely reaches 0 F here!

So glad you were able to regroup so quickly! I had read your earlier post, as a chicken owner predators are my biggest fear. Your new ladies look great, hope Olive is happy with her new sisters and new home!

^^ what TaraBella said, exactly. You got a great deal. :) I paid $15 each for my new girls already laying. $10 for the younger pullets where I get mine.

Thanks for your support, Henless! Sounds so exotic, having predators like coons, skunks, coyotes! We have to go to the zoo to see those things! Didn't know opossums were the natural enemy of chickens either. Possums here are generally smaller than chickens as a rule. Will have to Google opossums to have a look. I now have much greater peace of mind with the netting over the top! I've had a hawk take a couple of bantams in the past as well, so I don't keep bantams anymore! Will hopefully post some pics very soon.

We also have to watch out for moose here. They tend to step on the birds (not eat them) because they enjoy breaking into pens to steal chicken snacks.

Back
Top Bottom