Regular Scab or Bumblefoot?

rgardiner7000

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2021
Hello All,

I am wondering if it's possible for a chicken to have scabs on the bottoms of her feet without it being bumblefoot.

She doesn't seem to have any of the other symptoms...no redness or swollenness. When I've soaked her feet in Epsom salts and peeled off the scabs, there isn't anything inside, it's just sort of hollow, like a blister (...no pus or other signs of infection...). I believe they are caused by her back toenail being long and poking into the pad on the bottom of her foot. I've since cut her nails, but the scab keeps coming back.

I've tried researching this but I can't find any information.
Please let me know!

These were taken before I washed her feet, so there's a little mud on them. She's been lethargic, but it's also been very very hot here in North Carolina.

I have Enrotex and plan to administer to her crop today.

Any thoughts? Is this clearly bumblefoot?

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3473.jpg
    IMG_3473.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts? I just want to know if it's possible for a chicken to have scabs on feet without it being bumblefoot.

I gave my chicken an epsom soak, removed the scab, but there was nothing to clean out inside her foot, again.
They are bandanged up now.

I would really like to know if maybe it's possible for there just to be a scab on her foot-- because if it's not bumblefoot, I'd really like to stop torturing her!

She is a golden laced Wyndotte, if that helps any one give advice. And her nails get very long, even though she's free-range, so I have to clip them.

Thanks @pennyJo1960 ! I did those things, but was unable to find a core. Just felt cruel to continue poking around in her foot pad. Bandaged her up with antibiotic. I also gave her Enrotex yesterday, since she's been acting so lethargic and unlike herself.

Stop the med please. Now neosporin no pain relief.
Vet wrap not super tight check every other day of she keeps it on.
Best to cut it in half.

In my experience yes chickens can have cuts or scabs on their feet without it being bumblefoot. Bumblefoot develops when staph gets in and that’s what causes the swelling, infection and pus/core. You can still give your chicken an epsom salt bath in the evening and clean the feet/any wounds or scabs, and then apply Vetericyn or iodine and wrap to protect it. But you shouldn’t need to keep removing the scab or digging in there or anything. Keeping the wound clean and protected is what will prevent it from becoming bumblefoot. Eventually the scab will fall off and the skin should be healed underneath. You can keep the foot wrapped a few days more if you’re concerned the bird will re-injure itself. Especially if you keep up epsom salt baths, it softens the skin, so the newly healed skin can be injured again especially if you have gravel/rocks/high perches etc.

Back
Top Bottom