Regular treatments for diseases?

Yeah, I locked them in a couple of different times, and it didn't really work, they went to laying and roosting in odd places. But that was before I expanded the coop another 64 sq ft, so maybe I'll try again...they really seem to be liking it.

I know something, chickens are a constant puzzle!

Yeah, I locked them in a couple of different times, and it didn't really work, they went to laying and roosting in odd places. But that was before I expanded the coop another 64 sq ft, so maybe I'll try again...they really seem to be liking it.

I know something, chickens are a constant puzzle!
THAT'S for sure!! haha

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Thanks, aart, I think I'm going to try that again. One of my hens likes to lay on top of a metal shelf (that's got to be cold!). The coop is plenty big now, so I could probably lock them in until 3pm or so. As far as them wanting to roost in the top of my big shed, I think I'll probably be sweeping them out of there every evening at dusk for the rest of my life! Or until we tear it down, anyway!

DH says I like chickens because I am a puzzle freak, and I'll never have them figured out! I told him that it was either more chickens or more babies. That shut him up and he offered to help me expand the coop! LOL

Thanks, aart, I think I'm going to try that again. One of my hens likes to lay on top of a metal shelf (that's got to be cold!). The coop is plenty big now, so I could probably lock them in until 3pm or so. As far as them wanting to roost in the top of my big shed, I think I'll probably be sweeping them out of there every evening at dusk for the rest of my life! Or until we tear it down, anyway!

DH says I like chickens because I am a puzzle freak, and I'll never have them figured out! I told him that it was either more chickens or more babies. That shut him up and he offered to help me expand the coop! LOL
gig.gif
lau.gif

I found one. It relates to intestinal pH and its effects on Ca/P absorption.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1003/factors-influencing-shell-quality/

Section of interest: "Intestinal pH: Phosphorus absorption is optimal at pH 5.5-6.0. When the pH is higher than 6.5, absorption of phosphorus markedly decreases. Excess free fatty acids in the diet can cause the pH to decrease and therefore, interfere with calcium and phosphorus absorption."

The article references fatty acids instead of ACV though. I'm going to continue looking to see if I can find evidence that directly states that ACV lowers intestinal pH...will report back.

The search was fruitless...and I realized at the end of it that I hadn't considered something very important. With the dilution that is generally recommended, it is extremely unlikely that the pH of the water is affected much, if at all. I have hard water. It is really, really difficult to overcome the natural buffers in the water to bring it from an alkaline pH to a neutral pH--I know this because getting the water adjusted to fill a new fish tank is a bear.

Actually, adding ACV to hard water would make a bit of the water's calcium carbonate more biologically available as calcium acetate. Ditto for magnesium.

So, since fat isn't digested and absorbed until it hits the small intestine, it makes sense that the fatty acids referenced in my previous post WOULD have an effect on intestinal pH and therefore calcium metabolism, but is also why this reasoning cannot be transferred to ACV.

I love science. Could you tell? :D

Quote: No, sorry, I don't have a citation, I thought I saved it but can't find it now.

Remember reading it from someone very reputable here who did cite it tho,
that's why it stuck in my head.

I think it applied more to long term constant usage,
rather than a 'once in a while' application for waterer cleanliness or a little boost/flush for the birds system.

I found one. It relates to intestinal pH and its effects on Ca/P absorption.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1003/factors-influencing-shell-quality/

Section of interest: "Intestinal pH: Phosphorus absorption is optimal at pH 5.5-6.0. When the pH is higher than 6.5, absorption of phosphorus markedly decreases. Excess free fatty acids in the diet can cause the pH to decrease and therefore, interfere with calcium and phosphorus absorption."

The article references fatty acids instead of ACV though. I'm going to continue looking to see if I can find evidence that directly states that ACV lowers intestinal pH...will report back.

The search was fruitless...and I realized at the end of it that I hadn't considered something very important. With the dilution that is generally recommended, it is extremely unlikely that the pH of the water is affected much, if at all. I have hard water. It is really, really difficult to overcome the natural buffers in the water to bring it from an alkaline pH to a neutral pH--I know this because getting the water adjusted to fill a new fish tank is a bear.

Actually, adding ACV to hard water would make a bit of the water's calcium carbonate more biologically available as calcium acetate. Ditto for magnesium.

So, since fat isn't digested and absorbed until it hits the small intestine, it makes sense that the fatty acids referenced in my previous post WOULD have an effect on intestinal pH and therefore calcium metabolism, but is also why this reasoning cannot be transferred to ACV.

I love science. Could you tell? :D

No, sorry, I don't have a citation, I thought I saved it but can't find it now.

Remember reading it from someone very reputable here who did cite it tho,
that's why it stuck in my head.

I think it applied more to long term constant usage,
rather than a 'once in a while' application for waterer cleanliness or a little boost/flush for the birds system.

Awesome. I appreciate the responses. Makes me wonder what the acceptable rate would be, with no chance of possibly affecting calcium intake, negatively or positively as Jensownzoo suggests. 1 week ACV mixing/month? Less? More?

Last edited:
Quote: I looked and looked and looked for that citation....couldn't find it, shm, drove me nuts for a few hours.
Will stick with not good for long term, constant usage.

As to how often<shrugs>....so many variables when talking about chemical balance/changes....with the water it's mixed with and the body that's ingesting it.
Pretty hard to quantify amounts for pro and con. I guess it would depend on what your goal is in administering it, whether a small ratio more often or a larger ratio less often would be effective/optimal.

Back
Top Bottom