Rehabbing Duck

Mama Rachel

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
I rescued this female duck. She was being abused by the two males. The owners only have two males and two females!
Anyways, she is unable to walk on her feet so she hobbles on her hocks, legs splayed and hocks very swollen. She is also missing feathers on her head, neck and body. Has a slightly bubbly eye but I think that’s due to the mating abuse.
Could this be Niacin deficiency ? Is rescuing her too late? Any advice ?

Attachments

• B3C3602B-7129-462A-B852-F23E10D6122C.jpeg
    B3C3602B-7129-462A-B852-F23E10D6122C.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 13
  • 59BF932F-D327-4F74-B84A-BCA0796DD02E.jpeg
    59BF932F-D327-4F74-B84A-BCA0796DD02E.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 5
  • EA285293-4D0B-4315-A72C-48DCC9875013.jpeg
    EA285293-4D0B-4315-A72C-48DCC9875013.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 6
OMG! That poor baby. I would assume a niacin deficiency, especially since it is so common amongst Pekin.

Looking at that swollen hock joint, I would feel for a slipped tendon just in case. My guess that is not going on. You should be able to feel it to the left or right of the hock joint. You will also want to look at her feet for bumblefoot.

I would personally probably treat her with an antibiotic like enrofloxicin. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

You can also give it an anti-inflammatory to help with the swelling and pain. I use ibuprofen. Infant Motrin - 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. Or 0.1ml per lb

Her head, you can just treat with bacatracin or triple antibiotic ointment. Just make sure it doesn't have pain meds.

OMG! That poor baby. I would assume a niacin deficiency, especially since it is so common amongst Pekin.

Looking at that swollen hock joint, I would feel for a slipped tendon just in case. My guess that is not going on. You should be able to feel it to the left or right of the hock joint. You will also want to look at her feet for bumblefoot.

I would personally probably treat her with an antibiotic like enrofloxicin. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

You can also give it an anti-inflammatory to help with the swelling and pain. I use ibuprofen. Infant Motrin - 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. Or 0.1ml per lb

Her head, you can just treat with bacatracin or triple antibiotic ointment. Just make sure it doesn't have pain meds.
Thank you so much for all of the info. I am used to caring for chickens, so waterfowl is out of my territory. I will def look into all of these things to hopefully get her feeling better soon.

The poor sweetheart! Thank you so much for rescuing her!

I hope the remaining female doesn't suffer a similar fate. :( Did the owners not care?
I would say it's a combo of not caring too much and just neglect in the situation.
Some people unfortunately just view these animals as a product and in this case she was an egg layer. I just don't know how you could let this go on for a even a short period. This has to be a longer period of neglect for her to get into this condition.
I did tell them that typically you would want 5 or more ladies per male. I reckon they picked on her because she was weak.

I would say it's a combo of not caring too much and just neglect in the situation.
Some people unfortunately just view these animals as a product and in this case she was an egg layer. I just don't know how you could let this go on for a even a short period. This has to be a longer period of neglect for her to get into this condition.
I did tell them that typically you would want 5 or more ladies per male. I reckon they picked on her because she was weak.
Thank you for rescuing her and now nursing her back to good health

Are you able to keep an eye out for what happens to the other female?

So you would recommend this over buying pure niacin capsules to add into her food?
I would recommend giving the high vitamin b complex to her over the niacin capsules. It is one of the most effective way of treating niacin deficiency. You can also ensure how much she gets by administering it orally.

The main worry for me is if she has slipped tendons. It is not something that can be fixed at this age.

Back
Top Bottom