Rehoming Bully Hen

Lizzynbpt

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2021
Hi everyone, new here and I’m looking for advice and resources on rehoming a bully flock member. We’ve had a mixed flock of 5 hens for over a year, we got them all as chicks. One of our australorps has turned into a major bully; she’s been aggressively mounting 2 other hens like a rooster, causing damage to their feathers and skin. We’ve tried putting her in a “bully breaker” dog crate a few times, each time increasing the days in the crate and releasing her back to the flock. Unfortunately, as soon as she is released, she aggressively mounts 1 of her 2 favored victims. We’re at the point we’re we need to rehome her as our other chickens are miserable around her. Our chickens get ample free range time, a great diet, they basically live like backyard queens. If anyone has tips or tricks for rehoming in northeastern Massachusetts, please let me know. Thanks!

This may not be the answer you're looking for, and try to read this in a friendly tone because I'm bad about sounding angry online :rolleyes: I'm nice I promise!

but if a hen is hurting your chickens, why would you want her to hurt someone else's chickens?
Are you a vegetarian? If not, would you ever consider eating her?
If you're going to rehome her, make sure you include on your advertisement she is aggressive to other chickens. And know she may end up on somebody else's stove.

I use Facebook (watch out for the Facebook police) and Craigslist for selling my birds. I'm honest about their egg laying abilities and personality, people appreciate that.
Look for "Northern Massachusetts poultry swaps" or something similar on Facebook, that will be your best bet.

This may not be the answer you're looking for, and try to read this in a friendly tone because I'm bad about sounding angry online :rolleyes: I'm nice I promise!

but if a hen is hurting your chickens, why would you want her to hurt someone else's chickens?
Are you a vegetarian? If not, would you ever consider eating her?
If you're going to rehome her, make sure you include on your advertisement she is aggressive to other chickens. And know she may end up on somebody else's stove.

I use Facebook (watch out for the Facebook police) and Craigslist for selling my birds. I'm honest about their egg laying abilities and personality, people appreciate that.
Look for "Northern Massachusetts poultry swaps" or something similar on Facebook, that will be your best bet.
Thanks for your reply! Your response is similar to what my husband just said to me! 🤣 I was thinking that a bigger flock may be able to straighten her out. But again, I’m no bully chicken expert and would be totally transparent in any rehoming situation. Thanks again!

Rehoming CAN change their behavior.

Chickens hate change.
A new home, new flock, new people, new everything and she would be lowest on the pecking order so it MIGHT change her.

I believe most of us do not want to pass on potential problem birds so they can torment a new group of victims.

The choice ultimately is yours. Here she would be soup or dumplings.

Rehoming CAN change their behavior.

Chickens hate change.
A new home, new flock, new people, new everything and she would be lowest on the pecking order so it MIGHT change her.

I believe most of us do not want to pass on potential problem birds so they can torment a new group of victims.

The choice ultimately is yours. Here she would be soup or dumplings.
Great points! My husband is leaning towards dumplings as well

I haven't tried them, but apparently they make chicken glasses that work to cut down on aggressive behavior. They're called pinless peepers and people swear by them. It makes it so the chicken can only look to the sides "prey style" instead of straight ahead as a predator would.

What ever you choose, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom