Reintegration by supervised visits ?

Optimistic, had 3 hours of visitation today with only minor skirmishes..
jumpy.gif

Actually, mine seemed to understand very quickly that I was not going to allow fighting, and gave it up. I was kind of surprised at how quickly they figured it out....let's face it, chickens are not rocket scientists
wink.png

I don't think I had to "peck" any of them more than twice, although each bird gave bickering with the new one a try. I stayed with them for maybe an hour. Then I gave them all goodies, so they had something else to think about.

I treated them the same way I do my little pack when I bring in new dogs, and it seemed to work.
Interesting, maybe your flock are not as spoiled as mine? The main culprit, Lillie, has always been my favorite and used to be the bottom of the pecking order. With the shift in my flock and loss of her favorite buddy - Dottie was #1 and her best friend and protector. IMO she is fearful that Penny will end up above her in the order. Time out in a cage for bully Lillie helped initially, now she seems to like going in a cage so have removed the jail from the run.

I am using a water bottle spray - it does stop aggression immediately. I have been leaving the bottle in clear sight and just picking it up seems to avert aggressive moves. But Lillie looks to see where the bottle is and seems to think about her actions before she acts on her impulses. So, she is learning how to "play the game". But have not seen anything but minor skirmishes and brief confrontations this week.

I am still optimistic and will be patient in extending their time together. Yesterday we added some overhead protection to the outdoor area so we could observe more remotely and the only issues occurred when we were not immediately by the coop area. It seems the absence of treats during visitation helps more than anything else we have tried thus far. But plan to get a new flock block and make changes in their environment to increase their interest in anything other than what is Penny doing.

Wish me luck, the gals have been visiting for 3 hours now and only minor pecking order stuff during the first hour. Even took a treat tray in today and only the usual pecking order stuff.

Planning to leave the cage open and see if Penny will try to join them in their coop tonight. Will let her decide. But if she does, I will be out there before dawn just in case.

This photo was taken about 30 minutes ago, all 4 of the flock in close quarters with no problems yet. Penny is the lighter colored BO. Only a week ago I would not have believed this.
yippiechickie.gif

Hope I wasted my money on the little coop in foreground, was planning more permanent separation of the protected run for her this weekend. If things work out, can just put that in storage.

Well Howdy! sunflour, aart, blooie, two crows, north fl chick! don't run off after sunflour's success. My turn in the barrel! I may need some help! I only brought a squirt bottle to this party!
Integrating 2 RIR's to my established flock of 15.
RIR;s and my hens are very similar ages. 7-9 mos. No roos. Orpingtons, Marans, Wyandottes EE's Austraorps, Deleware. I have them in aarts look but don't touch for now.
I hadn't planned to add birds and sure didn't want to disrupt my flock, but things happen. I broke some husbandry rules too regarding quarantine.
hide.gif

Backstory to explain my poor decisions so far: Pops, 83, gave his farm to his son and moved in here a couple years back. I love him to the moon and back and would never hurt his feelings. Knows everything chicken, or any other feathered critter, old school, hard core though.
Son got sweet new GF that wanted chickens. They ordered 10 beautiful vaccinated pullets various breeds in Mar-Apr. Closed flock, they live in the boonies. Newness wore off, they want less chickens. Pops comes home with 2 beautiful RIR's as a gift! They are gorgeous btw.
I set up a Q pen, just open covered, no coop. I planned to Q them for 30 days. That hurt his feelings terribly. "Do you think I would bring home sick chickens"? Rut Ro...
Think quick! "Nope, don't want these beautiful hens stressed!" Next day weather change, wind blowing, raining, night time temp went from 60 to 39. I felt awful.
Yesterday I set up the LBDT inside the run.
Coop is a 12X16 stall with ample roost space. Run is 16X24.
So... after my long story, how long should I leave the dividers up?
Should I let the RIR's get a feel for the coop and run while my girls are out free ranging?
I wonder about where to finally let them interact. If I let them out to forage with my 15 and things go badly, the new girls won't yet know where "home" "coop" and safe spot is. If I confine them to the coop and run, it's much more restricted space.
Thoughts?
Could you post pic of your set up with the pen you are using?

I used "make shift" removable shelter on Penny's cage so she would have protection from the elements. And a spot to sleep where she felt safe. Took it off in the morning, left the prevalent wind/rain side up most of the time.

IMO keep them separated but let them out of confinement with close supervision and place yourself between any potential aggressor until you are not seeing aggression. Once that defuses, then try letting them out with the friendliest of you flock. Letting the others free range takes them out of the picture for this.

The blaster is effective when there is only one aggressor present, but if there are multiples, then the marbles should be ready.
Good luck, patience is the main ingredient in this recipe.

So... after my long story, how long should I leave the dividers up?
Should I let the RIR's get a feel for the coop and run while my girls are out free ranging?
I wonder about where to finally let them interact. If I let them out to forage with my 15 and things go badly, the new girls won't yet know where "home" "coop" and safe spot is. If I confine them to the coop and run, it's much more restricted space.
Thoughts?
I'd leave them separated for at least a week...maybe longer...in their own area.
How big is it, easy for you to access to feed etc?

Yes, let them check out coop and run when other birds are ranging...I assume other birds will be locked out of coop and run?

Set up hiding places in coop and run, extra feed/water, etc.
Then let them range together.

If you see excessive harassment, try the adding one nice existing bird to confinement area...then another, or a different one.
The mix and match, shake em up method.

BTW... 'look and don't touch' is not mine per say.

My situation is a little different; first I have had a hen inside for 3 days now recovering from lash egg. I also have a silkie roo in a separate pen but inside the coop and has been visible to the flock. I removed him from his 2 hens 3 days ago because he was overly aggressive with them. He is a lot bigger than the hens. Can I add him to the leghorns and red sex links? If I add him and the inside leghorn at the same time will that ease both of them from the reintegrating process? anyone have a better idea?
Might be a good idea to start a new thread with all the details of your situation...title it "Need help with integration"
Include info:
-Pics and size(feet by feet) of your coops/runs/pens.
-Numbers and ages of birds.
Also curious about how this bird 'recovers from a lash egg' in 3 days......usually that means serious internal infection.

Back
Top Bottom