reintroducing chicken into the flock

jbblack

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
Carmichael, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,
I have a chicken that has been a longtime member of the flock. She injured her leg so I put her in a cage in the house while she recovered. Today I took her back to the flock and all was well for a short while then one of the hens started to peck her neck and then one of her original mates started to attack her. She is OK, but is walking with a limp/hop.

What is the best way to re introduce her to the flock?
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi! I haven't had to do this yet but I'm expanding my flock soon so I'm curious to see other posts as well.
I did hear that one of the best ways is to wait until after dark when the flock is sleeping/roosting and carefully placing the new (old in this case) member in with them. Supposedly in the morning the flock will just accept the new comer as if she was always there.
Of course if the extra body upsets the balance of power there could be some fighting eventually and if the hen still has any type of wound, she may be ganged up on again. However you make the re-introduction, I would monitor everything closely because what seems to work for some people, fails for others for all kinds of variables.
I recently had infighting in my established flock and stopped it by adding an extra feeder and water dispenser on the opposite side of the coop. In theory this was to provide a safe alternative for the inferior hens so they wouldn't need to go into the dominant hens' feeding territory. It seems to be working and you may want to try providing an extra feed station and maybe a few hiding spots if feasible.
Good luck!

Good luck-some are not ever accepted back, even after a short removal. I have seldom been able to reintroduce even a raised together, sister hen, after her set and raising chicks--no longer a friend EVER. Others have little problem. Lots of room is important, and as mentioned, extra feeders and waterers, well separated can help the transition. Just have to work it out....

She injured her leg so I put her in a cage in the house while she recovered.
How long was she caged?
It doesn't take long for a bird to become a 'stranger' to the flock.
It's best to cage a bird that needs isolation right in the coop and/or run so they don't lose sight of the flock and the flock them. I've had to isolate a few birds with bad limps to 'force' rest, usually let them out once a day, close to roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility. Put them back in crate if they are not well improved. Anyway, water under the bridge, but this is also how you can start the reintegration, put the cage in the coop for a few days then let her out late in day and see how it goes. Might take a while, couple weeks or so.
This is how I set up my crates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

I did hear that one of the best ways is to wait until after dark when the flock is sleeping/roosting and carefully placing the new (old in this case) member in with them. Supposedly in the morning the flock will just accept the new comer as if she was always there.
Of cou
That rarely works, and can be catastrophic if you're not there at break of day to observe and intervene if necessary......like @bobbi-j sez:
"chickens aren't the brightest animals on this planet, but they're not that stupid."

How long was she caged?
It doesn't take long for a bird to become a 'stranger' to the flock.
It's best to cage a bird that needs isolation right in the coop and/or run so they don't lose sight of the flock and the flock them. I've had to isolate a few birds with bad limps to 'force' rest, usually let them out once a day, close to roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility. Put them back in crate if they are not well improved. Anyway, water under the bridge, but this is also how you can start the reintegration, put the cage in the coop for a few days then let her out late in day and see how it goes. Might take a while, couple weeks or so.
This is how I set up my crates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

That rarely works, and can be catastrophic if you're not there at break of day to observe and intervene if necessary......like @bobbi-j sez:
"chickens aren't the brightest animals on this planet, but they're not that stupid."
The chicken has been away from the flock a little over a week. I like the idea of putting a crate in the coop. When she is in the house she is in a very large dog crate. I will look for a smaller one to put into the coop. Good info thanks.

We are working through this now...only had our injured girl inside on the rainy days, otherwise she was outside in a closed off portion of the run with the other girls the entire time she has been healing. She still has a limp but she's getting around great. She seems afraid of the other chickens, for good reason I suppose since they are pecking at her. I'm only letting them share space when I'm out there armed with a squirt bottle to break up any naughty behavior. Only done this for a half hour a day for the last two days, but hopefully they start to sort things out. We have two water sources on opposite sides of their area, will add a second food as well.

I am able to close off the run from the rest of the yard, and I use it as an isolation area for introduction/reintroduction. They can see each other through the chicken wire, but they can't get physical. I've always had very good luck with this, and typically the transition takes no more than a couple of days. There will naturally be a couple of squabbles to re-establish the pecking order, but after that things smooth right out. For sure make sure everybody has enough space and easy access to food and water.

Back
Top Bottom