Removing/trimming rooster spurs

Quote:
X2 I have seen a youtube video on it. Pretty neat procedure. I have got to catch my roo and do this. Poor guy's spurs are really long

A couple of questions - I read - don't cut to close - How close is too close?

My rooster has maybe 2.5 inch spurs that are blunted on the ends (not sharp)

I'm really a picture kind of gal... anybody have a picture?

we had to do this to our rooster because he spurred my fiance and it hurt him real bad. And we had to fix his attitude cuz he won't let us go near him, but it is the same.

The rooster did not like my fiance's friend, but after we cut his spurs, the rooster didn't go near the friend of my fiance.

Unfortunately, for me the rooster still won't let me go near him. I only got the tool to cut the spurs. We trimmed them like a cat's claws and there was only a tiny bit of bleeding. But he is doing fine, was for over a day. Guess he healed good. He's still alive, it's only been 2 days after now.

I tried trimming my roosters spurs with dog nail clippers and it worked, but I stopped after about a centimeter because i didn't want him to start bleeding. I read that you can bake a potato for an hour in an oven, cut it in half, wrap the roosters legs in a towel to prtect his legs and with a thick glove hold teach potato half on each spur for five minutes, then remove them, and then you can just twist off the spurs quickly. Haven't really tried it but if anyone has ever used this method with success I'd certainly try it.

I tried trimming my roosters spurs with dog nail clippers and it worked, but I stopped after about a centimeter because i didn't want him to start bleeding. I read that you can bake a potato for an hour in an oven, cut it in half, wrap the roosters legs in a towel to prtect his legs and with a thick glove hold teach potato half on each spur for five minutes, then remove them, and then you can just twist off the spurs quickly. Haven't really tried it but if anyone has ever used this method with success I'd certainly try it.

Just this past weekend we had to handle a spur issue. One of my roos got his spur caught in the chicken wire and partially ripped it off.
We didn't use the hot potato because the injury was bleeding and we didn't know what would be raw skin....

We used a pair of pliers and twisted Back and forth (slowly because we didn't want to hurt the bird and weren't confident in what we were doing).
He was squirming, so we stopped and got the towel and did a burrito wrap to keep him from squirming.
Then we went back to using the pliers and twisting the spur.... Sure enough, it Husked the spur.

The spur stopped bleeding almost immediately. We used blood stop just to make sure it didn't start up again.
REMEMBER: This was a bleeding injury before we started. The husking seemed to relieve the pressure on the quick
and it stopped bleeding.

I didn't do anything to the new, young, tender spur. We isolated the roo and have kept him isolated this week. I was afraid the hens
would pick on it since there was so much blood involved BEFORE we husked the spur.

I sprayed the spur with an antibiotic every day except the first day. I don't see any signs of infection and will be returning him to the ladies
tomorrow - 6 days after the injury. I'll try to remember to take a picture. I didn't husk the other spur... so I can do a before and after comparison.

Hey, I'm Elaine. Just look on YouTube. They have some really neat videos that explain it all. I know; I just looked that stuff up because I wanted to remove those wicked little weapons myself. :) Great videos, and seem to be very humane.

I only read the first few pages, but does this apply to hen spurs? I just bought a few hens off Craigslist and one of the Australorps has some GNARLY spurs. They aren't long, but man, are they sharp! They are maybe 3/4 of an inch long, and are a perfect cone shape. They hurt to even touch with my finger with any amount of pressure.

Back
Top Bottom