Replacing dead eggs under goose with new eggs...should I?

Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
So I have a lovely African goose who has been sitting devotedly for about 20 days. I wish I had thought to earlier, but I forgot about candling, and didn't until tonight. Sadly, the 5 (of 12) I candled have pretty much no development. They are pretty clear, some have a bloby yolk that moves like a lava lamp. No veining whatsoever. Probably not gonna get any babies sadly.

I've never actually seen my gander mate with her, he seems to prefer the other girl. I was really hoping he would mate with both his ladies but sadly I might need another gander for her!

Anyways! My question is, can I put more eggs that I know are fertile (I've got a full incubator, and a random mix of extra goose, duck, and turkey eggs that I would love to let her hatch, I've had good luck getting birds to hatch out eggs from all sorts of species lol) under her, and would she hatch them even though it would be a longer time? Would that be too long for her? She hasn't really lost any weight, she seems alert and healthy, and comes off to eat and drink well.

The other option is I can take the eggs and destroy the nest, but she's so diligent, I feel like she would be so sad :(

So what are y'all's thoughts? This is my first year with geese, so it's new to me. I've had broody Muscovies hatch babies, and chickens, but not geese! They are also about 10 months old, so they are pretty young.

Do you have any eggs that are close to date with her current ones? I wouldn't give her any any under 15 days old. That would be a LONG time for her to sit and she could quit before they're ready to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom