Replacing fish in the river...

Delta2 23

Flock Master
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
ABOUT 1.3 billion fish were added to China's Yangtze River in an attempt to help restore resources in the region.

Aquatic weeds and millions of shellfish also will be added to replenish the river's ecology, which was damaged by low water levels amid a drought earlier this year, the country's Ministry of Agriculture said yesterday.

The ministry created the initiative in conjunction with five Chinese provinces that border the middle and lower regions of the river.

The Yangtze River was not the only resource badly affected by the droughts. According to the Anhui Fishery Bureau, 140,000 tonnes (154,324 tons) of fish were lost due to reduced lake levels in a single eastern Chinese province. To combat the loss, 100 million fish were released into nine lakes in Anhui province yesterday.

The bureau said that 95 per cent of the lakes' fish and approximately 80 per cent of their plants were ruined because of the drought.

It's interesting what we can do these days.

Quote:
Too bad they're doing something now, when the river's dolphin is (virtually) extinct.

hmm.png

Quote:
Everything is messed up. Water management, soon to be lost recharge from snow melt, overfishing, and I think introduction of exotics as well.

They have or will soon loose their native paddle fish which is a lot bigger than ours.

I wouldn't be convinced that the Chinese are putting back the same species that were lost. I suspect this is mainly a propaganda move. They have an incredibly bad environmental record.

Quote:
Have you ever seen the sky in the capital ?

sickbyc.gif

I heard them talkin about piping water from the south to the north where they need it
pretty much the same drought cause i guess

why am I not surprised ?

Back
Top Bottom