Reputable hatcheries in Southern California?

Hi all,

I live in San Diego and am looking for recommendations for reputable hatcheries in Southern California. I purchased my first flock (6 hens) from a local breeder in 2020 and 2 of them (both Wyandottes) have already died from reproductive issues. As a result, I'm looking for high quality, heritage breed chickens. I don't need prolific layers. I'd rather have healthier chickens that give me less eggs but live longer.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
I've purchased my chickens from Dare2Dream in Lompoc. I've only bought coop ready or pullets, so I can't speak of their chicks. My first order was delivered to me in OC. Back then they delivered all the way to San Diego! For my second batch, they only delivered south to LA due to the (chicken) quarantine, so they were dropped off at my partner's house. My most recent delivery was a few weeks ago, and they no longer deliver south of LA County, so I had them again delivered to my partner's house. (She loves the chickens!) The delivery is great, and they'll walk them directly to your run or coop! I lost one hen in the first 24 hours on the first two deliveries, but they all seemed healthy. The new batch seems fine 3 weeks in without any problems and doing really well. I will buy my next group from them again. BTW, Martin was the guy who delivered them at least the last two times, and he was awesome!

I purchased my first six chickens from Renee at backyardchickies in May 2020 and two of my six have died. Both of them were Wyandottes and both died from reproductive issues. The other four have been healthy (except one died from a bobcat attack so we only have three now). I know a few other people who have purchased Wyandottes from her as well and they also died within the first years unexpectedly. Something seems wrong with her line of Wyandottes. The others we got from her (Buff, Barred Rock, Black Australorp and Easter Egger all have been healthy). Because of that I'm debating on whether I should get more from her or not (and just stay away from her Wyandottes).
What did you decide ? Did you buy from her again? I feel so torn to buy from her because a cpl yelp reviews said her chickens had merek (sp?) disease and ruined all their other chickens because of it and died.

If you want fancy and specialty breeds like English Orpingtons (of various colors), legbars, BBS and lavender marans; I recommend Papa's Poultry. Even though it's in Nor-Cal but the quality of his (the breeder is called Jeff) birds is really good. I get hatching eggs from him. I have lavander orpingtons from him and they are turning 8 yrs old this year; I also have blue laced red orpingtons and one chocolate mottled orpington from him. They lay pretty well and are very docile. Because you live in CA; shipping will not be that pricey.

Hi all,

I live in San Diego and am looking for recommendations for reputable hatcheries in Southern California. I purchased my first flock (6 hens) from a local breeder in 2020 and 2 of them (both Wyandottes) have already died from reproductive issues. As a result, I'm looking for high quality, heritage breed chickens. I don't need prolific layers. I'd rather have healthier chickens that give me less eggs but live longer.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Hello, we are a small Hatchery in the inland empire, we do offer healthy and well care chicks. We have 25 years of experience and our priority is to grow our business and share our love for chickens.

Hello, we are a small Hatchery in the inland empire we are growing our family business. We have 25 years of experience and we are so proud of our work, we offer chicks, consultation, teaching programs, and full projects for beginners, for individuals or businesses.
We are chick suppliers some feed stores and sell eggs.
I hope we can help.

Hello, we are a small Hatchery in the inland empire we are growing our family business. We have 25 years of experience and we are so proud of our work, we offer chicks, consultation, teaching programs, and full projects for beginners, for individuals or businesses.
We are chick suppliers some feed stores and sell eggs.
I hope we can help.
Where are you located in the inland empire? Do you have a website to see what your facility offers?

Hi! I’m in L.A. and got my first batch of hens from Dare2Dream Farms in Lompoc. They are NPIP certified, vaccinate for Marek’s, avian flu tested, will take back accidental roos (we did have to send one back) and they hand-deliver.
Taking birds back after they leave your property is against the rules for NPIP.. which states no birds may come from non NPIP sources.. this includes once they've left your property.. according to my understanding.. and if not then.. what good is the NPIP anyways???????

I highly recommend against them (dare2dream) and they don't hatch their own birds.. they order from elsewhere.. last time I checked.

Are they NPIP?? This following statement was taken from their site at the following link..

https://www.dare2dreamfarms.com/chickens

"All chickens sold by Dare 2 Dream Farms are sourced from NPIP Certified Hatcheries and are:

• H5/H7 Avian Avian Influenza Clean
  • Salmonella Monitored
  • Pullorum-Typhoid Clean"

Back
Top Bottom