Rescue 3 Puerto Rican Baby Chicks 5-6 weeks old.

ChicksinPR

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Zone 8a
This is Blacky. He/she was born completely black...head, feet, skin. there were 4 other sibling that were black too. Mom was all black too. There were 8 in his/her family. This is a free roam offspring. We live here in Puerto Rico and the chickens are all running loose here. This baby's moma has taken to our family and we rescued this baby for her. All of her chicks were being eaten by a hawk. There were 8 and now there is this one. We are curious if this is going to be a boy or a girl... We will build her a coop for eggs is she is a she... we will let him free range if he is a he. :) As for breed... lol... all the chickens run wild here..so mutt.

Last edited:
Here are 2 more we rescued. 5-6 weeks old. This moma had 18 babies and these are the last 2. Same thing. A hawk has targeted these babies. My husband saw the hawk take one. This moma was yellow like the baby. She is a pet too. My daughter domesticated these hens by hand feeding them while they were babies. so we are kinda partial to these babies. My pictures arent that good. But if you could just have a look, from what you can see, tell if they are hens or roos. We have ordered 5 Easter Eggers and might have to build a bigger coop to add these 3 if they are girls.

He/She has yellow feet too.

his/her feet are green.. :eek:

I have no idea on the first two, that black skin and big eyes are incredible though! I am very interested in what others think she is!

the black cant tell gender (am leaning towards cockerel) but probley has some game and maybe even silkie way back in its line. the 2nd set with the 1st one it looks like its going to be 100% cockerel and the other 2 i cant tell gender on them yet eaither. the last 3 do look like they might have some ee in them someweres in their line.

* i'm not really sure on the gender of any of them yet

ok, the yellow one is def a roo. His comb turned darker today. Significantly... The black one has a large comb too.. But it is all black and was from a different hen.

The black one looks like he might have Modern Game in him. Some varieties of Moderns have the "gypsy" (black) face like that. I would really like to see him grown up.

Back
Top Bottom