Rescue

Kalebsmomma

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
Wisconsin
I lost my last hen just before winter. Seemed like with everyone I've lost I felt my heart wasn't in it anymore. Get very attached to my sweet girls!
Fast forward to a week ago a friend of mine calls me. She has 27 Golden Comet chicks (which she knows I'm partial to) they rescued from a hoarding situation. She knew I didn't have chickens anymore but have a HUGH coop (fits 40-45 comfortably) and run that sits empty. ;) She pulled me back in... 27 chicks warming in our coop 2 days later!
Here's the thing. They have no clue how old they are and they are SUPER skiddish.
Is there a way to tell how old they are (I usually know when I buy them)?
I've sat with them for 2-3 hours a day since we got them not including feeding and watering. I've always had Golden Comets almost right after hatching. All my girls loved to be carried or sit on or near us. Always come when I called for them. Is there a trick to get these chicks to trust me? They freak out no matter the slightest move. They flock to opposite side of coop when I get near. It's hard to not just reach out and grab one but I don't want to traumatize them.
Any hints will help! Sorry so long!
Thanks!

I lost my last hen just before winter. Seemed like with everyone I've lost I felt my heart wasn't in it anymore. Get very attached to my sweet girls!
Fast forward to a week ago a friend of mine calls me. She has 27 Golden Comet chicks (which she knows I'm partial to) they rescued from a hoarding situation. She knew I didn't have chickens anymore but have a HUGH coop (fits 40-45 comfortably) and run that sits empty. ;) She pulled me back in... 27 chicks warming in our coop 2 days later!
Here's the thing. They have no clue how old they are and they are SUPER skiddish.
Is there a way to tell how old they are (I usually know when I buy them)?
I've sat with them for 2-3 hours a day since we got them not including feeding and watering. I've always had Golden Comets almost right after hatching. All my girls loved to be carried or sit on or near us. Always come when I called for them. Is there a trick to get these chicks to trust me? They freak out no matter the slightest move. They flock to opposite side of coop when I get near. It's hard to not just reach out and grab one but I don't want to traumatize them.
Any hints will help! Sorry so long!
Thanks!
I would try feeding them from your hands. They will know that you love them and will take care of them! Good luck!❤️

Hope these help! They don't stay still long when I'm around lol

Attachments

• 20240514_090744.jpg
    20240514_090744.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240514_090734.jpg
    20240514_090734.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240514_090725.jpg
    20240514_090725.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240514_090529.jpg
    20240514_090529.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 4
Sit with them as much as possible. You don't have to necessarily do or say anything and in fact, it may be good to ignore them some of the time. You want them to know you're no threat. Also mix some of their feed with water and offer that in your outstretched hand. It may take a while but keep at it and they'll hopefully get used to you. Worked for me with both my chicks and with feral cats in the past

Back
Top Bottom