Rescued 7 week old frizzle chick

Aw, so happy you are helping these poor little guys.
thumbsup.gif

I just want to ssy an enormous thankyou to everyone who offered advice! We have taken all your words of wisdom and little ralph is looking so much better! The coconut oil has worked so fast and we can now see some feathers happening! His skin looks healthier and he is much more comfortable! The fermented food he loves and comes running to whoever has his bowl! He is currently running around with the bigger chickens and showing regular chicken behaviour. My daughter is doing everything you suggested and keeping him warm and happy! So thankyou!!

Just thought id update on the little frizzles. My daughter got up on the weekend to find little ralphy didnt make it. The vet said it was just too much for him to overcome. Such a sad time for her. The other one - walter, is doing ok health wise but is really freeting and looking for his friend. We are trying to introduce him/her to the flock now. There is a silkie who has taken a bit if interest in him so fingers crossed. Its so sad to watch. But here is a pic of walter now.

So sorry to hear Ralphie didn't make it. I was worried about him, he was so small. There were probably some internal issues, genetic in nature.

Have you tried introducing Walter to the Silkie yet? It would be ideal if the two would bond before you introduce him to the flock. Then if you can, rig a panic room for him with 5 x 7 openings so that he can escape to safety if chased. Place food and water inside for him so he doesn't have to compete for them. Is he about the same size as the Silkie?

Yeah the vet said the same thing about internal problems. But at least he had a few weeks of lots of love and attention.
Walter has been introduced to the silkie and so far so good. The silkie - amy is POL and seems to be mothering him. We have also had some success with the rest of the flock - just small visits but they seem ok with him. Amy however wont leave him so we have built an additional nesting box/sleeping area for them and so far its successful! Heres a pic of them i just took.

You are way ahead of the curve! Probably Amy will see that Walter is accepted and protected. You're so fortunate to have a Silkie. Such terrific mothers! Watch to be sure both are getting enough to eat. (Full crops at night).

Good job!

Thanks for the positive words! Its been a sad few days and my daughter has been working so hard to make him fit in. She has been making up a fermented mash and giving it to him (and the others) every morning and night so im hoping thats keeping their crops full (i will check tonight tho before they go to bed). She has also put out different containers of their pellets in various places so theres no fighting. She is determined to have him make it. I just hope hes a she lol.

Here he is playing with the hanging bok choy! You can see amy in the background - shes never too far away now. Sorry for all the pics. We are all rather invested in walter!
1f60d.png

Back
Top Bottom