Rescuing a Chukar

Kittyhoho

Hatching
Sep 18, 2021
Hello BYC I’m a loooooong time lurker, first time making an account and posting because I never thought I would have a need. But here we are! So about one week and a few days ago, I found one lone (male I believe) Chukar roaming the streets of my very urban city. Completely out of place and asking for handouts at the 7/11. I fed him all I had on hand which unfortunately was McDonald’s french fries in small pieces. Anyways I tried to catch him over the next week or so, left him some seed mixes and water, kept trying etc. Well a friend finally caught him and I’m going to adopt him in a few days as no owner has been found. I have not much on hand for this but I’m willing to buy what I need and plan on making him an outdoor run. Does anyone have any advice on a set up for him? What game bird feeds are good? I heard he needs high protein, and to be kept out of wetness. I have no other birds but I have a spacious backyard and room to build. Any advice is welcome, I just want to give the little guy a good life. I became very attached to him over the course of time.

Hello BYC I’m a loooooong time lurker, first time making an account and posting because I never thought I would have a need. But here we are! So about one week and a few days ago, I found one lone (male I believe) Chukar roaming the streets of my very urban city. Completely out of place and asking for handouts at the 7/11. I fed him all I had on hand which unfortunately was McDonald’s french fries in small pieces. Anyways I tried to catch him over the next week or so, left him some seed mixes and water, kept trying etc. Well a friend finally caught him and I’m going to adopt him in a few days as no owner has been found. I have not much on hand for this but I’m willing to buy what I need and plan on making him an outdoor run. Does anyone have any advice on a set up for him? What game bird feeds are good? I heard he needs high protein, and to be kept out of wetness. I have no other birds but I have a spacious backyard and room to build. Any advice is welcome, I just want to give the little guy a good life. I became very attached to him over the course of time.
Welcome to BYC!!!
That's great that you could catch him! Do you have any pics of him?
He's going to need a friend. My pair of chukars are inseperable, I couldn't imagine ever keeping just one. They're so happy together. It should be easy to find one, there are a lot of people who raise chukars that I'm sure could sell you one. You would want a female. Or if you build a big enough run you could just hatch some.
He will need to have a covered run, with small netting or a roof. The sides should be covered in 1/4 in. hardware cloth. Build a frame with treated wood. Make it as big as you can, bigger is always better. They should have shelter (it could even be a doghouse, depending on your climate), a dust bathing area, plenty of shade, clean water, and a constant food supply. If you can, provide some natural shelter such as small bushes, and logs/rocks as perches. I feed mine Purina gamebird feed, but have used nutrena gamebird pellets as well. I prefer the Purina, but nutrena will be easier to find. Make sure the food is fresh, check the mill date before buying it.
They're very fun birds, I'm sure you'll enjoy them!!!
I'm so happy you could rescue him. Great job.

Yes it would be optimal to give him friends if possible……I had 1 of a group escape once during a predator attack and he came back in 24 hours to find the group. Gamebird, all flock, or Turkey starter are the best choices in feed. They also seem to love pecking at cabbage and fresh greens.

Thank you, how would I go about getting him a friend? I don’t want baby’s and I heard two males would fight.

Do they need a raised floor? Or will a sturdy roof be enough to keep them from any moisture that could cause problems?

Thank you, how would I go about getting him a friend? I don’t want baby’s and I heard two males would fight.

Do they need a raised floor? Or will a sturdy roof be enough to keep them from any moisture that could cause problems?
There won’t be babies unless you let the female incubate eggs. So ideally a female - you won’t have babies unless you want them.

Chukars are extremely difficult to determine gender. And 2 males usually get along fine if they don’t have females to fight over. Mine were kept outside on the ground in the aviary. They did like to roost on top of the coop

Back
Top Bottom