respiratory ailment

shepherd6567

Songster
Aug 7, 2017
Mamou, La
Ok guys, I have a question. I finally finished my coop and went to my sisters to pick up my birds, 12 - 3 month old pullets. While getting them settled in I noticed 2 of them exhibiting some respiratory distress. They were both gasping for air at times with some raspiness. Both appear to be in some discomfort, but are eating/drinking well and in good body condition. I have isolated them for the evening but not sure what do with them going forward. Here lies my question. Should i treat them and reintroduce at a later date or should I cull? I am leaning toward the latter. Concerned about the rest of my girls because I know they have been exposed? Appreciate all views and experienced opinions!

Are you sure they aren't just stressed?

Since they all were housed together culling wouldn't help. I would wait a few days and see how they do before deciding anything.
It may be stress but if so I probably need to cull anyway.

Are you saying the rest of my birds are infected if these two are? I would like input from others on this too if possible.

Thanks for the reply

Still looking for answers. I have done a lot of research and observations on my birds. I started a broad spectrum treatment of powder in the flock's water. I think I may be dealing with a type of Mycoplasmosis. symptoms seem to improve by morning but worsen as the heat of the day comes. I'm located in S La. so they are experiencing high heat and humidity which stresses them out I'm sure. Anyone experience Mycoplasma illnesses and have suggestions or differing opinions on what I am facing. Thinking of starting over but I would hate to if this is controllable and not to disruptive to my flocks health.

Appreciate all advice

Ben

Do you have a video of them?
Any photos?

What symptoms are you seeing? - watery/bubbly eyes with pus or discharge, facial swelling, sinus infection, coughing, sneezing, rales, extending the neck to breath, going off food/water, lethargy, etc.?

Respiratory illnesses like Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza, ILT and Infectious Bronchitis are fairly common. All respiratory diseases are contagious and most of them make birds that have recovered and those that are exposed carriers for life. Antibiotics will only treat any secondary infections due to complications from illness, there is no cure.

Without testing and confirmation there is no way to know for sure what illness you are dealing with - so sending samples to your state lab is always a good idea.
Some people do keep flocks that have been diagnosed with any of these illnesses - they keep a closed flock and follow an all in/all out protocol. Any bird that is on the property stays on the property it's whole life - no showing birds, no selling/giving away hatching eggs, chicks, started pullets, etc. Any new birds introduced would be treated only if they become symptomatic or sometimes they are culled - it depends on what you want to do.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks Wyorp Rock.

Only symptoms I have noticed is neck craning, mouth breathing at times, a little raling and a little lethargy. Appetites are good and no discharge or swelling. I hear you on further testing, but I dont feel like taking the time or money when more than likely I will end up with a closed flock anyway. I think I will continue my treatment and give them a week or two then decide whether to start over or not. I only have a dozen pullets and a couple cockerels so I guess it wpuldnt be the end of the world.

Back
Top Bottom