Respiratory Issues

Kelsb21

Hatching
Sep 4, 2023
I've done a lot of searching through the forums but looking for some personal experience, and just making sure I'm doing everything I can for them. Sorry in advance for the novel, but I figured giving as much info as possible up front would be best. :)

I have 6 pullets and 2 cockerels that are about 2 months old. One pullet ended up with a respiratory issue. After immediately isolating her and lots of research, I tried things like nutri-drench in her water and raw apple cider vinegar & honey water without progress. So we began giving her duramycin injections. She's had 3, now. An online poultry vet said 7 consecutive days of injections, but from everything I'm reading online, that seems like a lot? While she's been getting her injections I've also been giving her hydro-hen in her water. She's doing a ton better but she still has a bit of a runny eye. Is it normal to have a lingering symptom like this? Is there anything else I can do for her?

I woke up yesterday and a cockerel had developed symptoms. He's now in a separate isolation from the first, I'm giving him topical VetRX, duramycin injections, and hydro-hen water. He's only had one injection, but seems to be doing better already.

The rest are now on Tiagard in their water because I've heard a lot of sneezing... and honestly I don't have the space or sanity to keep isolating everyone one by one.

** Long-term solution, I realized my mistakes in terms of ammonia build up. I was cleaning frequently, just not thoroughly enough. I also just got First Saturday Lime. I'm fairly certain my ventilation is sufficient, especially because they free range during the day, but I'm looking into increasing ventilation anyway. I think part of the issue may have been bullying from my easter egger pullet causing everyone stress. She was pretty nasty, but seems to have chilled out over the past couple of days... Hopefully the peace continues...

Where you get the chicks? If you hatched eggs from elsewhere, or bought chicks from someone, they may have come with mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. It can be transmitted through hatching eggs or by direct contact. If it is in the flock, the whole flock is considered carriers. Hopefully, they will all recover from symptoms. Tiamulin (Denagard) is used specifically for MG, so that should help. If the one is continues to run, you can clean it twice a day with saline and put a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. If your farm stores don’t carry it, plain Neosporin will work in a pinch.

Where you get the chicks? If you hatched eggs from elsewhere, or bought chicks from someone, they may have come with mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. It can be transmitted through hatching eggs or by direct contact. If it is in the flock, the whole flock is considered carriers. Hopefully, they will all recover from symptoms. Tiamulin (Denagard) is used specifically for MG, so that should help. If the one is continues to run, you can clean it twice a day with saline and put a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. If your farm stores don’t carry it, plain Neosporin will work in a pinch.
Six came from Tractor Supply and two came from a local breeder. The two in isolation right now are both from Tractor Supply (black australorp and RIR). I'm gathering that it's not the ideal way to get chickens... Besides quality concerns, I ended up with two cockerels that were supposed to be pullets... and one of those cockerels was also supposed to be a buff orpington, but I'm almost certain he's at least part white leghorn.

The Tiagard/Denagard went over fairly well the first 24 hours... but it seems they've caught on to my tricks. I've already added sugar and apple juice... I'll have to try and add more sweetness to see if I can bribe them.

Thank you for the Terramycin recommendation. I'll definitely try that today. My two in isolation are doing pretty well this morning, both having improved more overnight. Such a relief.

Back
Top Bottom