Respiratory Infection???

flnatv

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
West Tennessee
I didn't know where else to put this, but these questions are for a baby Duck.... (tried posting in the duck forum and didn't get much feedback)

Anyway... this baby duck sounds "snotty"... don't know how else to put it.
I have put it in a warm tub of water and let it blow out its nose... it did clear the first time, but it keeps coming back and now won't go away at all.

I just need to know if there is something else to try or whether I should go ahead and use antibiotics (my degree is microbiology/vet med, but we didn't study ducks and I am against the "lets try antibiotics" scam). Because the little guy seems to be getting worse than better, what is everyone's recommendation?

If it is felt that I should at try them... what do I use and how much...? This little duck is a call duck and less than a week old.

I THANK anyone/everyone that is willing to give me some advice and feel at this point that I need to do something.... today.

I know nothing about ducks. It does sound like a respiratory issue. You can use tylan 50 injectable. I dont recommend injecting in this instance. Dosage is normally given by weight. I recommend 1/10cc administered orally. Do this for 5-7 days. Orally, it's a longer absorption rate but you should see improvement around the third day.
ETA: If it's a viral issue, antibiotics wont help. In chickens, it'll remain a carrier...dont know about ducks.

Last edited:
Thanks... I went to TSC and they didn't have it... so I went to my vet and he gave me polycyclin... I am mixing it with water...
I sure hope this works. Poor baby
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom