Respiratory Infections

shawnellabella

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
Winlock, WA
My flock has recently caught something, I live in Washington and it has been very wet as of late. I ordered some VetRX and water soluble Tylan and am waiting for it in the mail. Right now all I have is liquid Tylan(not enough for my whole flock), some special eye stuff, and Duramyacin 10. I am giving them vitamins and electrolytes until then, what else can I do for them right now?

Symptoms:
Swollen sinuses on one side
Bubbly Eye
Wheezing
Sneezing
Runny nose

It seems pretty contagious and almost everyone has it

Last edited:
The vast majority of the time, when you're seeing contagious respiratory issues, it's Mycosplasma - usually the Gallisepticum species, but sometimes you'll see Synoviae as well. I would strongly recommend getting one of the symptomatic birds blood tested to confirm. (This usually doesn't cost more than $30-$40).

In order of strength, the effective medications for Myco (and some other respiratory diseases) are Denagard, Tylan, and Duramycin. Duramycin is very weak and I don't even see a lot of point in using it. Tylan is OK. Denagard is the most effective, and I would strongly recommend it as it's the only thing that is worth the money spent on it.

Please keep in mind:

- Contagious respiratory disease can be treated, but not cured; you will need to keep a closed flock from now on and cannot sell or transfer any of your stock.

- Even if a bird never showed symptoms, it should be considered a carrier and contagious (unless proven otherwise by blood test)

- Most respiratory diseases will not affect the edibility of meat and eggs, but infected birds will be poorer producers of both

Last edited:
I cancelled the other stuff and got the denegard, its only my favorite birds getting sick my silkies, a silkie cross, and a ex battery girl, :< On duramyacin currently and rooster booster, I really hope they make it till that medicine comes in

Hi... my chickens are sick too. First time gaving chickens and I am not sure if I am doing it right. They started sneezing and now they are coughing and breathing with a gurguling/raspy noise... only one showed swolen around her eyes and some discharge from her nistrils and was very quiet and did not want to eat... but seemed to improved this morning. The rest of the flock are eating and drinking well and beside the simptmas they seem al good. I read some staff online and I think they have a respiratory infection. I bought Tylan 200( the only one i found at my tracto supply) and I am giving 1cc to the big hens and 1/2 cc to bantans for 3 days already... ( i am planning to do 5 days) they improved the breathing noise but the snnezing and coughing won't go way. So i have some questions and I really appreciate if someone could help me.
1. Am i doing it right?
2. Is there any withdrawal period for eggs after tylan?
Thank you all very much.

I cancelled the other stuff and got the denegard, its only my favorite birds getting sick my silkies, a silkie cross, and a ex battery girl,  :< On duramyacin currently and rooster booster, I really hope they make it till that medicine comes in

Well, Duramycin is better than nothing in the meantime. Try to keep the sickest birds somewhere warm, if you can. Cold worsens respiratory issues.

Last edited:
The tylan order I cancelled did not cancel and it shipped anyways so I don't get the good stuff :< Will it still make the infections go away? I am taking one in to see the vet as soon as I can for a blood test and more information

I'm not sure I thought it was 1/2cc for Tylan 50, its what I got (liquid) and I'm unsure about withdrawal periods I dont eat animals or animal products and they dont often eat their eggs,

The tylan order I cancelled did not cancel and it shipped anyways so I don't get the good stuff :< Will it still make the infections go away? I am taking one in to see the vet as soon as I can for a blood test and more information

Tylan is somewhat effective. It won't likely remove all symptoms by it should prevent them worsening and will probably be most effective on the least sickly birds. Again, please remember no medication can make the disease "go away" completely. These medications treat symptoms - birds still carry and transmit the disease, and may relapse in times of stress.

I'm having one seen by the vet for the blood test and will update you then, uvu Its mostly my silkies that are doing this, not all of them are though

Back
Top Bottom