rest in peace, Henrietta :(

tunaoftheland

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 3, 2008
So I have at long last had my first chicken mortality, other than a little chick who came defective (poor Beatrix). Henrietta, one of my original five easter eggers, has passed on to chicken heaven. She was extremely fluffy and had a huge beard and a very small pea comb, and laid eggs that were a lovely shade of green. She was a good girl, quiet, kept to herself mostly. She was on the bottom rung of the chicken social ladder, but it seemed to be more by choice than anything. From the time she was only a week or two old, she started sleeping separately from everyone else. No one picked on her that I ever saw, in fact sometimes one or two of the others would go and sleep with her, but she never sought their company. As an adult she slept on the opposite end of the roost from everyone as well. I would give her treats on the side, since she would hang back from the crowd at treat time. Sometimes she would fly up and sit on my shoulder for a couple minutes. She always seemed a little morose however, and recently she seemed even more so. I thought it might be because she was molting, but she was just finishing up when she seemed to become even more off. I found her standing in a nest box kind of fluffed up. I thought I would bring her in where it was warmer and I could keep an eye on her if she was still like that the next day. But the next day she was dead
sad.png
So I dug a hole in the rain and buried her
sad.png

Here is a not so great picture of her from last summer:

11380_henrietta_summer_08.jpg

And here she is as a week or so old chick:

11380_henrietta_napping_one_week_old.jpg

I'm so sorry. I have one who is going that same way, it seems. Came on overnight, but she is full of quills, just won't eat now. She's under heat lamp, but just looks "shrunken". The molts seem very hard on them this year.

Awe, so sorry. I have one in molt this year and she is certainly not herself. I hope she rebounds okay. She is an easter egger also and I just love her personality, when she's not molting that is. Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

that is what I think too
sad.png

And to silkiechick05, no, as far as I know molts don't kill chickens. But a heavy molt sure doesn't help a chicken who's already down, and miserably cold almost constant rain probably didn't help either.

Back
Top Bottom