Results from First Year with Deep Litter Method

Pics
Oh, I have shown remarkable self-restraint! I won't get any birds until the coop is built. And bless his heart, my husband is planning on a very large coop. Crowding will not be an issue. We plan on making a coop and run bigger than we need for many years. Because it will likely be in the barn where space is ample, I think it will be a veritable chicken palace. We have had many animals over the years and the one thing about them all, is they all have/had adequate space and housing, in addition to the proper food and lots of love.

And speaking of proper food, I love the fermented food. BeeKissed, I have to ask about ACV ratios. I'm a firm believer myself for human benefit. Would never have thought of it for chickens. I also make my own kombucha and hear that the excess SCOBYs are adored by chickens.

Hello Beekissed....terrific video its very helpful indeed!
Love your chickens and you folks have a lovely property...BEAUTIFUL!!!
Thank you for posting this!
Aloha!

And speaking of proper food, I love the fermented food. BeeKissed, I have to ask about ACV ratios. I'm a firm believer myself for human benefit. Would never have thought of it for chickens. I also make my own kombucha and hear that the excess SCOBYs are adored by chickens.

If you are fermenting their feed you won't need to fool with ACV, but if you are not, I wouldn't worry about the ratio....they won't drink it if you've put too much in the water anyway. I don't normally measure such things, just tip up the jug and give their drinking water a slosh of ACV.
big_smile.png

I started a thread about my coop design. Was looking at all these beautiful, elaborate coops. But I just don't think it's necessary and is too much money on something that won't have the ventilation I'll need and would be appropriate for this area. If anyone can give feedback with respect to the deep litter method in this plan and safety if possible, would appreciate it. I couldn't link it. Apparently I'm special and I don't mean the sparkly kind of special. It's in the coop/maintenance board. It's Total 180. Anyway, appreciate feedback. thanks

Thank you Daisy8's for posting this!
thumbsup.gif

I'm building my first coop and I was almost decided on this method and now I'm sold!
goodpost.gif

I have had deep litter for 4 years now and love it. I have concrete with pine shavings and it still works. I fractured my ankle in 2 places last spring right when we normally do a complete clean out-June. I was not even allowed on lawn for the longest time, my husband would get me onto the patio and herd the chickens/donkey up for me to see and pet on. So, my husband did all my chores-plus turned everything over in the coop and removed a few wheelbarrow fulls of the yuckest and added more shavings. I thought it would be a mess when I finally was allowed in. It was in pretty good by the time I was cleared to walk to the barn-but not allowed inside the coop, yet. By the time I was allowed to clean it out we had a early freeze snap, all that we had done was winterize, my husband had surgery and a hospitalization and It didn't get clean in the fall either. So 2 weeks ago it got cleaned out, my husband did all the heavy lifting-wouldn't you know I hurt my shoulder a month before. It was not gross, I guess because we added and stirred more than any other time, so it was like any other clean out. More layers and more compost but otherwise good, we did have to spot clean the walls, roost, nests and under the waters. In our hot, moist, climate shavings make sense. I love fall leaves when I can get them. I won't ever change from DLM, it works to well

Last edited:
I have been using DLM for 10 months in the run only, which is 1/2" hardware cloth on dirt bottom, top with pine shaving. In the coop (a small 4' x 4'), the poop board take cares of capturing the poop for daily removal. I would say that DLM is the easiest thing I have ever discovered. I just rake it, mix it up, add more shaving, or compost some every 4 to 6 months.

Some people rave about sand, but for me, it smells when the sand is wet and hot, it freezes into a solid chuck when the sand is wet and cold. The chickens either kick up a sand storm or can't scratch for worm and bugs in the dirt and deep litter. Above all, sand can't be decomposed. DLM is much more feasible for my backyard setting and I am very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom