Returning my Flock to Health

Dust bathes and good food really help with lice, but this may sound harsh, but you have a flock of poor doers. We have cattle, and have often noticed that poor doing animals are much more susceptible to lice. I think chickens are the same way. You might need to really cull on your flock.

In my opinion, if you have an 8 year old chicken, you must be doing more right than wrong. I have never come close. Chickens do not live forever, and the end may be close.

Any bird with a leg so badly injured that needs amputation, I would cull.

Mrs K

Most of my birds have very light cases of lice at this point, such as if I didn't know what I was looking for I'd never see it. The few with higher loads are breeds known for being poor doers (Sultans.) I have noticed I have a few layers that are not very hardy, and they won't be staying.

All my OEGBs and mutts are the healthiest, with sultans, sex links, and some EE being the poorly ones. I will never be purchasing sexlinks again---poor length of lay, and prone to illness.

For the first bit of her life, she belonged to a neighbour, and when she came to me she was pretty overweight. I thought she wouldn't even live to see her 6th birthday, but after restricting treats and free ranging she became much healthier. Don't know if she'll make it through the winter, but at this point she's got enough spark left I don't see any real need to cull.

Last edited:
I would assume that some of their external parasites are getting out of control due to no having enough unfrozen ground to properly dust baths.

We cull based on suffering and whether we believe they can recover or not.

I am currently not all that concerned about their louse load, it's down to a few lice spotted per bird when checks are done. It's when I see 5+ on the back of their neck alone that I become concerned.

:thumbsup Ditto

I feel rather bad I left her out when it got so cold, but nothing to do now 'cept hope for the best, I guess....

I have one hen in particular that seems to be incredibly healthy. Other than a worm overload as a juvie (mea culpa---they were overcrowded) she hasn't come down with much else. Pretty hardy too, and a good layer when she isn't broody. Little buggar went broody 4x in her 1st year....

Last edited:
I have started applying some of the methods @Beekissed so kindly explained to me. After culling some of the chronic sickies, my flock doesn't actually look all that bad. Lice are next to eradicated, no worms visible, etc.

Opening up the coop on the side with the most light seemed to boost their spirits as well after going through yet another winter.

That's good to hear. Sunshine and fresh air can do wonders on chickens. I have noticed mine are much healthier on an All Flock ration with 18% protein, the layer ration seemed to leave my birds depleted and I think the extra calcium wasn't good for everyone but those currently laying well.

That's good to hear. Sunshine and fresh air can do wonders on chickens. I have noticed mine are much healthier on an All Flock ration with 18% protein, the layer ration seemed to leave my birds depleted and I think the extra calcium wasn't good for everyone but those currently laying well.

Interesting. I've thought of giving it a try but it's terrible expensive.

All flock is $3 more expensive and 10lbs less. Plus it is crumble, which gets wasted.
I switched to an All Flock because it was a pellet. Interesting to me how everyone has something different going on. Certainly feed what you can afford, and what you are comfortable with. I'm just glad your flock is doing better.

I switched to an All Flock because it was a pellet. Interesting to me how everyone has something different going on. Certainly feed what you can afford, and what you are comfortable with. I'm just glad your flock is doing better.

Hmm... I'll have to go search again to see if I can find a pelleted form that doesn't cost me $150 a year more. Has to be somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom