Rhode Island Red cross over a Crested Cream Legbar?

Anquan81

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2018
Anyone have any experience with crossing a RIR rooster over a CCL hen? What do the adult birds look like?

The barring in the CCL should make the chicks sex-linked, am I correct in that?

What color are the eggs that the offspring lay? I was hoping the brown egg from the RIR mixed with the blue egg from the CCL would give either a green or olive egg in the offspring. I am also hoping that the offspring will have a higher egg production than the CCL does.

Anyone have any answers to these questions, or pictures of their own RIR x CCL?

I am also fine if someone has a link to another thread with these answers. I looked for any info on this, but was unable to find anything.

What color are the eggs that the offspring lay? I was hoping the brown egg from the RIR mixed with the blue egg from the CCL would give either a green or olive egg in the offspring. I am also hoping that the offspring will have a higher egg production than the CCL does.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes, that all sounds about right. :thumbsup

Very excited to see some chickeneering! :wee

I made this cross a few times. But the sex linking didn't work out well. I have yet to get a hen from that cross unfortunately but all were chipmunk colored chicks and were roos. No head spots, no consistency in shade. I have since lost my beloved RIR roo but am now watching babies from his son Doc (RIRxCCL). Here are pictures of the roo, hen, the chicks and the adult Roo from the cross. My hen is not homozygous cream, more gold but I don't think that will change anything as my understanding is cream is a recessive so needs two to show.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1563679967445.jpg
    FB_IMG_1563679967445.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 20190623_220330.jpg
    20190623_220330.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 305
  • 20190720_145614.jpg
    20190720_145614.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 309
  • 20180901_140022.jpg
    20180901_140022.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 318
Anyone have any experience with crossing a RIR rooster over a CCL hen? What do the adult birds look like?

Anyone have any answers to these questions, or pictures of their own RIR x CCL?

I am also fine if someone has a link to another thread with these answers. I looked for any info on this, but was unable to find anything.
I have a Red Legbar Cross.antelope acres farmers market Lancaster ca 93536

Back
Top Bottom